Board of Visitors discusses construction, leadership, NCAA guidelines

Sullivan outlines new leadership initiative

The Board of Visitors met in full Friday afternoon to highlight committee discussions, including NCAA regulations, building renovations and the University’s financial situation.

The Board reviewed plans and funding for major renovation projects scheduled for Clemons Library and the McCormick Road and Gooch/Dillard Residence Areas, and examined the new contract that the University completed with Aramark, which will remain the vendor for dining services for the next 20 years. The projects will be funded in part by donations from supporters including an anonymous donation of $5 million to the University Library.

University President Teresa Sullivan said the approval of these renovations is vital to improving students’ resources and experience at the University.

Sullivan also notified the Board of a plan to develop a new institution to expand student leadership throughout Grounds. Sullivan told Board members graduates have had increasingly difficult times finding employment and this initiative could help solve this problem by giving students more leadership opportunities.

“No matter how much we educate them, the employment world is rapidly changing,” Sullivan said.

The program will train second-year students to become leaders on Grounds through formal classes and seminars designed to enable them with both hard and soft skills needed for future employment, Sullivan said.

“[The institute] will provide them with beneficial skills and will allow them to take part in an internship and research project highlighting leadership during their third years,” Sullivan said.

Later, the Board discussed its role in overseeing the athletics program and NCAA rules.

“The institution is responsible for the athletics program and how athletes, coaches and employees operate within that system,” said Eric Baumgartner, associate athletics director of compliance.  

Baumgartner said 25 institutions have recently been cited by the NCAA with “infractions for lack of institutional control.” He reiterated how careful the athletics program must be in recruiting high school athletes.

The Board also discussed the announcement that University architect David Neuman will step down in October. Newman, a member of the University since November 2003, has guided the first two phases of the $50 million Rotunda restoration project which is now under active construction.

“[The University is] truly indebted to you,” Rector Martin said to Neuman.