“BoJack Horseman” is too stable of an animated comedy

Latest Netflix original series has its moments, but too few to be memorable

If talking dog Brian from “Family Guy” had an alcoholic love child with the eponymous spy from “Archer,” you’d pretty much have the titular character of new Netflix original series “BoJack Horseman.”

The animated adult cartoon, which premiered in late August, follows the life of washed-up sitcom star BoJack Horseman. BoJack, the star of a fictional ‘90s show “Horsin’ Around,” spends his life after stardom in a world of humans and anthropomorphic animals.

This tired convention opens the series up to a lot of animal-related humor, but unfortunately most of the jokes are too bland to be funny. BoJack’s publicist, Princess Carolyn, is a cat who hangs around drapes. The series’ central villain, Mr. Peanutbutter, is a lovable dog who sticks his head out the window every time he drives his car filled with tennis balls and sticks. You get the idea.

If you can tolerate the fairly lame jokes, there are nuggets of clever writing spattered throughout the 12-episode first season. “Horseman” is particularly adept at mocking modern social issues and stigmas in a similar way to “South Park,” but it does so with more subtly. In the second episode, “BoJack Hates the Troops,” for instance, the show calls into question the media's sensationalist portrayal of celebrity events. It’s not a novel idea, but the writers present it in a devilishly clever way.

Not all the episodes pack a social judgement, because “BoJack Horseman” is really about the characters and their idiosyncrasies. BoJack comes out of the gate as a cynical, self-obsessed grouch who cares about nothing and wants nothing more than to drink endless amounts of liquor. After the introduction of and subsequent interactions with Diane Nguyen, BoJack’s ghostwriter, BoJack’s character gains significant depth while using Nguyen as a foil character.

Midway through the series comes a definite shift from dumb characters doing dumb stuff to a critical examination of a struggling horse. It’s a tricky thing to balance rapid-fire jokes with a serious undercurrent, but “BoJack Horseman” pulls it off better than most adult cartoons do.

This astute jugging comes out ahead thanks to a stellar voice cast. Will Arnett (“Arrested Development,” “30 Rock”) splendidly voices BoJack Horseman, nailing the horse’s cynicism and sarcasm. Alison Brie (“Community”) takes on the role of Diane Nguyen, while “Breaking Bad” co-star Aaron Paul plays Todd Chavez, BoJack’s slacker roommate. Each actor brings his or her distinct style to the show while emulating characters with near perfection. Fans of the cast will find something to like in this new, albeit slightly clichéd, environment.

“BoJack Horseman” isn’t an amazing TV show — it’s not even the best adult animated cartoon out right now — but given the unique approach to characterization and decent humor, this show has a fair deal of potential. Already renewed for a second season, “BoJack” will need to find its niche among adult cartoons before true judgment can be passed.