Charlottesville Police add new cars

Council approves more than $200,000 in funding for replacements

The Charlottesville Police Department will soon serve the community with a set of new squad cars, following a Monday City Council vote approving $213,758 worth of new vehicles for the department.

Charlottesville Police spokesperson Lt. Ronnie Roberts said Council approves funding for new squad cars every few years.

The budget allocation for the cars will also go toward funding technology needed to make them operational.

“The money also goes to outfit the cars,” Roberts said. “They need lights, computers and cameras.”

Roberts said technology for police cars is rapidly changing, which creates a need for new vehicles every few years.

“Often, the maintenance work needed on the vehicles is more expensive than the replacement charge,” he said. “Our cars are in use for eight to 10 years, and some of them have transmissions that don’t work.”

The 10 new vehicles will be obtained through auto-dealers approved by the state.

“There are only a few dealers that supply our police cars,” Roberts said. He said it will take two to three months for the new vehicles to reach Charlottesville.

Roberts said the cars would help the police continue to control the community with a mobile fleet and respond quickly to emergencies, keeping the community safe.

Members of Charlottesville City Council could not be reached for comment.