Gas leak disrupts North Grounds

Incident caused by faulty utility mapping

University Facilities and Management responded to a gas leak at North Grounds Monday morning. During excavation at the North Grounds Mechanical Plant, which is currently under construction, a natural gas line was damaged.

The area was declared safe 17 minutes after the University community was alerted.

Annette Cyphers, director of Facilities, Planning and Construction, said an excavator damaged the gas line because the line was marked in a different location than the digging operation.

“It is important that marked locations of utility services be verified prior to heavy equipment excavation to help prevent this from happening again,” Cyphers said.

The gas leak was stopped with a cap, and the line was put back into service. Cyphers said gas service to the area “was disrupted for several hours while the repairs were made.”

Buildings served by the plant, including the Law School cafeteria, could not be reheated until later that afternoon.

The North Grounds Mechanical Plant is under construction to replace existing heating and cooling capacity for the North Grounds area. The project is designed to save costs on energy, and to allow further expansion of the plant in the future.