A&E

'Guardians of the Galaxy' is, literally, out of this world

Marvel’s latest flick is witty, endearing

aeguardiansgalaxycourtesymarvel

Imagine a group comprised of a human being, a green alien, a hulk-like creature, a sassy genetic experiment and a talking tree. Is this an impossible team of superheros? No, Marvel pulls it off in “Guardians of the Galaxy.” This unique — and often, ridiculous — team is what makes the film so loveable.

The team’s formation is led by Star Lord (Chris Pratt), a human who was abducted from Earth as a young boy and becomes a black market trader in the planet Morag. Star Lord maintains a connection to his home planet by listening to a mixtape from the 80s for more than two decades.

Zoe Saldana’s character, the green and glamorous Gamora, counters Pratt’s boyish Star Lord. Gamora’s first interaction with Star Lord is action-filled and ultimately hilarious, as the “Guardians’” hero is swiftly duped by the femme fatale. This interaction is only the first of many calamities to befall our hero and each set back is another chance for hilarity and wit.

The screenplay is ingenious. With an abundance of witty one-liners and hilarious banter in the dialogue, Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper) consistently sheds a sarcastic, comedic light onto even the most serious and sentimental moments. Toward the climax of the film, the main characters agree to risk their lives as Rocket stands with them exclaiming, “Well, now I’m standing. Happy? We’re all standing now. Bunch of jackasses, standing in a circle.” Cooper’s sardonic delivery is spot on.

Though it would be easy to categorize “Guardians” as an action film, the movie mixes genres surprisingly well. Marvel’s latest flick involves action and adventure, sci-fi, romance, comedy and drama. The movie does not take itself too seriously, like some other Marvel movies in the past have done (i.e. “Thor” and “Captain America”).

What makes “Guardians of the Galaxy” really stand out is ability to make protagonists out of its anti-heroes. At the start of the film, the characters are introduced as criminals; by the end, their idiosyncrasies are what make their team inseparable and unbeatable.

“Guardians” is perfect for action aficionados as well as those seeking a good laugh or just pure entertainment. This Marvel film may not be known for its intensity, but it will certainly leave an impression on all audiences.

Published September 1, 2014 in tableau

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...