Medical Center confirms Ebola not found in patient

University President Teresa Sullivan sent an email Monday afternoon notifying the University community of a patient being treated at the Medical Center who had been tested for Ebola. A second email sent later in the evening ruled out Ebola as a cause for the patient’s symptoms.

Both emails were signed by Hospital Epidemiologist Costi Sifri, Chief Medical Officer Chris Ghaemmaghami and Richard Shannon, the executive vice president for health affairs.

The patient had recently traveled to Africa and returned ill, according to the email. A summer resurgence of the deadly Ebola virus in several West African countries, primarily Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, has left international health leaders concerned about its spread.

“[The Medical Center has] taken all recommended precautions by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to protect our patients, guests, staff, and the public, and we have contacted all appropriate public health authorities,” Medical Center officials said in the original email.

Symptoms of Ebola include fever, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea and internal and external bleeding.

“Final test results have ruled out Ebola as a cause of the patient’s symptoms,” officials said in a second email. “To protect the patient’s privacy, we will not be releasing any additional information.”