Men's golf takes third at Challenge Cup, ACC bests SEC

<p>Senior Denny McCarthy won his head-to-head match Sunday, when the Cavaliers' fell 3-2 to South Carolina in match play at the DICK'S Sporting Goods Challenge Cup. </p>

Senior Denny McCarthy won his head-to-head match Sunday, when the Cavaliers' fell 3-2 to South Carolina in match play at the DICK'S Sporting Goods Challenge Cup. 

The Virginia men’s golf team fell to South Carolina, 3-2, Sunday in the match-play portion of DICK’S Sporting Goods Challenge Cup in Nashville, Tennessee, previously finishing third in the stroke play portion of the tournament.

Senior Denny McCarthy and freshman Austen Truslow both won their matches. The team’s two points contributed to the ACC’s 16.5-point total, enough to defeat the SEC — which tallied 13.5 points — and take top conference honors. NC State led the way for the conference with a 4-1 victory against Texas A&M, while Clemson defeated Mississippi, 3-1-1. The tournament win was the ACC’s first at the event after falling to the SEC 17-8 last season.

Sophomore Derek Bard was the low man for Virginia during stroke play, finishing fourth overall at 4-under 209. McCarthy shot an even-par 213 — good for 11th place — while fellow senior Ji Soo Park notched a 14th-place finish at 2-over 215. Sophomore Jimmy Stanger placed 42nd at 12-over 225, and Truslow shot a 14-over 227 for 46th.

The Cavaliers’ 1-over 853 was five shots off first-place Georgia Tech’s 4-under 848 54-hole total. Georgia junior Lee McCoy shot an 8-under 205 to take medalist honors.

Virginia returns to the course Sept. 29 in Meadows of Dan, Virginia at the Primland Challenge.