No. 2 Women’s soccer falters against Seminoles

<p></p>

The second-ranked Virginia women’s soccer team traveled to fifth-ranked Florida State Sunday, ultimately losing a hard-fought match, 1-0.

The Cavaliers (10-1-0, 2-1-0 ACC), who entered Sunday’s game as the only undefeated and untied team in the nation, struggled to execute their signature style in a particularly challenging environment — in front of 931 fans at the Seminole Soccer Complex. Though the Cavaliers outshot Florida State (10-1-0, 3-0-0 ACC) 13-8 and had five more corners, they could not find the final pass and conversion to notch the potential game-tying goal, needed after Florida State senior midfielder Dagny Brynjarsdottir pushed the Seminoles ahead in the ninth minute from the top of the box with a shot that settled inside the bottom right corner.

Virginia had multiple opportunities to tie the game and continue its nation-leading undefeated streak, but the team struggled to convert its chances and is now tied for third in the supremely-competitive ACC. The loss likely came as a surprise to many Virginia fans, as the team hasn’t lost during the regular season since its Oct. 2012 matchup in Tallahassee against the Seminoles.

The Cavaliers now have a week to regroup and prepare before traveling to South Bend, Indiana to take on another ranked ACC opponent, 16th-ranked Notre Dame, Sunday at 1 p.m.