Peace Corps revamps application process

University remains a top recruiter for service organization

The Peace Corps introduced an updated application process this year which officials say has dramatically increased applicants. The University remains No. 2 among medium-sized schools on the list of the Peace Corps’ top volunteer-producing colleges and universities, below only Western Washington University.

The Peace Corps ranks schools annually based on the number of self-reported Peace Corps volunteers. Schools are divided into categories based on the size of the student body, with a separate pool for graduate schools.

Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet said the updated and shorter application process, which was announced in July, is more personal and allows candidates to apply directly to the country in which they want to serve.

“We take Americans of all kinds and we have a very rigorous program to give them the tools and skills necessary in order to serve in their programs,” Hessler-Radelet said.

Candidates can apply to up to three programs of their choice, or to a program where volunteers are most needed. New alerts have been added to inform applicants whether or not they have been selected.

According to Hessler-Radelet, the number of Peace Corps applications significantly increased as a result of the simpler application.

“Colleges are having higher numbers of students apply, which make Peace Corps service more competitive but may open more volunteer spots later,” she said. “We want to demonstrate to Congress that there’s a demand from the American people to serve in the Peace Corps, and we use the application number[s] to show that.”

This year’s application deadline is Sept. 30.

“The University of Virginia has maintained a contractual agreement with the Peace Corps since 2005-06 to provide campus recruitment services through University Career Services,” said Will Evans, a Peace Corps campus recruiter. “This, to me, represents a real investment on behalf of the University in its students who are seeking opportunities in public service.”

As a campus recruiter, Evans is responsible for coordinating informational events, speaking with classes and student organizations, and attending career fairs.

“In general, I want to be accessible to anyone who has an interest in serving,” Evans said. “The Peace Corps is eager to receive applications from U.Va. students because they bring a strong academic background with them as well as a dedication to public service.”

Founded in 1961 by President John F. Kennedy, the Peace Corps sends volunteers abroad to aid in cities and communities which are in desperate need of support. According to the Peace Corps website, “volunteers work at the grassroots level toward sustainable change that lives on long after their service.”

“One of Jefferson’s intentions all along was creating an educated citizenry, with the conviction that this was necessary to form an enlightened society,” Evans said. “U.Va. students are special in their commitment to public service, and the Peace Corps is a unique opportunity to serve the most pressing needs of people around the world, so the partnership is natural.”