Virginia falls to No. 21 Brigham Young, 41-33

<p>Junior quarterback Taysom Hill threw two touchdowns and ran for another as he led No. 21 Brigham Young past Virginia in Provo, Utah Saturday, 41-33.</p>

Junior quarterback Taysom Hill threw two touchdowns and ran for another as he led No. 21 Brigham Young past Virginia in Provo, Utah Saturday, 41-33.

As of halftime Saturday in Provo, Utah, the Virginia football team — just a week removed from knocking off then-No. 21 Louisville, 23-21, in Charlottesville — led No. 21 Brigham Young, 16-13.

The Cavaliers’ promising start, though, fizzled after the break as the dangerous Cougar offense — led by junior quarterback and dark horse Heisman candidate Taysom Hill — exploded for 28 points.

Unable to match Brigham Young’s barrage, Virginia (2-2, 1-0 ACC) departed LaVell Edwards Stadium with a 41-33 loss.

The Cavaliers fell behind, 27-16, when junior running back Jamaal Williams rushed two yards for a touchdown with 2:23 left in the third quarter.

Virginia answered in half-measure shortly thereafter, as junior place kicker Ian Frye connected from 46 yards out to trim his team’s deficit to eight points.

From there, the Cavaliers and Cougars (4-0) traded heavy blows.

Brigham Young sophomore receiver Mitchell Juergens hauled in a 50-yard touchdown pass from Hill with 10:17 left in the fourth quarter to put his team up 34-19.

Virginia sophomore backup quarterback Matt Johns — who entered after sophomore quarterback Greyson Lambert left with an ankle injury — then cobbled together a nine-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that ended with three consecutive rushes by senior running back Khalek Shepherd, the last going for nine yards and breaking the goal line.

Just as the Cavaliers seemed to be gaining momentum, Brigham Young junior return man Adam Hine punctured Virginia’s comeback balloon, taking the kickoff back 99 yards for a quick six points. After the extra point, Brigham Young was back in the driver’s seat at 41-26 with 7:50 to play.

Though Virginia found the end zone once more — this time on an 11-yard pass from Johns to sophomore receiver Kyle Dockins — the touchdown came with 1:48 remaining, too little time to fully rally. Brigham Young secured the onside kick and ran out the clock, avenging last year’s 19-16 season-opening loss at Scott Stadium.

Virginia will return to action against Kent State Saturday, starting at 3:30 p.m. at Scott Stadium.

—compiled by Matthew Morris