Weekend Previews: Sept. 26-28

A look ahead at this weekend’s biggest sporting events. For a full preview of this weekend’s football game against Kent State, click here.

Men’s Soccer

What: No. 2 Virginia (4-2-1, 1-0-1 ACC) at No. 18 Syracuse (7-1-0, 1-1-0 ACC)

Where: Syracuse, New York

When: Saturday, 7 p.m.

For just the second time ever, the Virginia men’s soccer team will travel to Syracuse Stadium for its Saturday evening conference duel.

Last year, the Cavaliers trekked to New York to best the Orange, 2-0 — marking the first-ever contest between the two teams. Then-freshman midfielder Jordan Allen, now playing professionally with Real Salt Lake of Major League Soccer, and then-freshman forward Riggs Lennon scored goals in the match as Virginia dominated Syracuse both offensively and defensively, outshooting them 12-2 and limiting them to one shot on goal.

Now, the Orange are once again playing host to the Cavaliers. Riding a three-game win streak, Syracuse is aiming to avenge last season’s loss in what the team hopes will be its first home conference win of the season.

Meanwhile, Virginia looks to rebound from its recent Wednesday night defeat against Davidson, the team’s second loss of the season. Prior to Wednesday’s game, the Cavaliers cruised during a three-game win streak, which ended with a hard-fought tie against Notre Dame last Sunday.

So far this season, all of Virginia’s matches have been extremely close, each having been decided by just one goal. The Cavaliers are seeking both their second road and conference win of the season against the Orange.

—compiled by Chuck Siegel

Volleyball

What: Virginia (7-6) vs. Clemson (11-2); vs. Wake Forest (10-4)

Where: Memorial Gymnasium

When: Friday, 7 p.m.; Saturday, 7 p.m.

The Virginia volleyball team returns home this weekend to open ACC play against Clemson and Wake Forest. After starting the season 6-0, the Cavaliers went 1-6 during a span of seven straight road games.

Of those six losses, four have come in five sets, including the Cavaliers’ most recent loss against Liberty this past Tuesday.

The Cavaliers lost the first set to Liberty (23-25) but came back to win the second and third sets (25-21, 25-22) before losing the fourth and fifth sets (22-25, 13-15).

Senior outside hitter Tori Janowski led the team with 22 kills and 11 digs, while junior setter Lauren Fuller added 55 assists and 11 digs for her own double double. Junior defensive specialist Manon Fuller also added 24 digs, but the solid individual performances were not enough for the Cavaliers; the Flames were able to out-block and out-serve the Cavaliers to take the match.

Virginia is looking to bounce back against the Tigers, who went 2-1 last weekend after wins against San Diego State and Florida International and a loss to tournament host, Alabama — a team the Cavaliers beat earlier this year.

Named to the all-tournament team for their efforts during the weekend were Clemson’s senior defensive specialist Niki Collier and senior outside hitter Kristin Faust, who have the Tigers sitting atop the ACC standings in opponent hitting percentage.

Virginia closes out the weekend against the Demon Deacons, who also went 2-1 last weekend after wins against Western Carolina and Elon and a lost to Winthrop. Senior outside hitter Jazmen Russell and freshman libero Caroline Wolf were named to the all-tournament team for their performances. Russell currently leads the ACC with 226 kills on the season — 63 more than the next leading player.

—compiled by Chanhong Luu

Cross Country

What: Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational

Where: Panorama Farms, Earlysville, Virginia

When: Friday: Women’s 6-kilometer race 10 a.m., Men’s 8-kilometer race 11 a.m.

Virginia cross country begins its season in earnest with the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational. This is the first meet of the year in which Virginia’s top runners will compete.

The No. 10 Cavalier women face a 10-team field with five regionally ranked and one nationally ranked opponent. No. 26 William & Mary — Virginia’s biggest threat in the Southeast Region — will battle the Cavaliers for the top spot Friday. Arizona, the 2013 NCAA runner-up, will also be present.

The 13-ranked Virginia men stand opposite a field packed with Southeastern Region opponents. Eight of the 12 men’s teams present at Panorama Farms are represented in the top-15 of the Southeastern Region including second-ranked Virginia. A tough assortment of foes — including Auburn and No. 12 Iona — round out the field.

The Virginia women are the defending Panorama Farms Invitational champions. The men placed third in 2013 and are looking to improve upon that result.

—compiled by Matthew Wurzburger