Women's golf comes in sixth at 15-team Mason Rudolph Championship

<p>Junior Lauren Coughlin led Virginia at the Mason Rudolph Championship by shooting six-over 222 and placing 16th individually. </p>

Junior Lauren Coughlin led Virginia at the Mason Rudolph Championship by shooting six-over 222 and placing 16th individually.

The Virginia women’s golf team placed sixth among 15 teams in the Mason Rudolph Championship this weekend at the Vanderbilt Legends Club. The Cavaliers had a three-day total of 30-over 894, shooting rounds of 297, 298 and 299. Tournament host Vanderbilt, ranked No. 11 in the preseason by Golfweek, finished in first place at an even par 864, 11 strokes clear of runner-up LSU.

Junior Lauren Coughlin led the team on the individual side, placing 16th with a score of 222. Four more Cavaliers — freshman Maho Hayakawa, sophomore Lauren Diaz-Yi, junior Elizabeth Szokol and senior Briana Mao — all finished in a tie for 30th at 225, three strokes back of Coughlin. Junior Jenny Hahn of the Commodores finished atop the leaderboard, shooting 5-under 211.

This was the second tournament of the season for the Virginia team, which placed fourth at the Cougar Classic in North Charleston, South Carolina last week. Szokol carded the team’s best three-day total there, despite it being her first competition with the Cavaliers after transferring from Northwestern during the summer.

After playing two tournaments in less than a week, Virginia has a bit of a break until its next competition: the Tar Heel Invitational, on Oct. 10-12, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. After that, the Cavaliers will only have one more tournament this fall, closing out the season at the Landfall Tradition in late October.