American Planning Association recognizes the Lawn as Great Public Space

The Lawn joins Central Park, Chicago Union Station as places recognized

The American Planning Association has included the Lawn in its annual listing of Great Places in America, a distinction based on its cultural, historical and local significance.

Three categories of great American places are enumerated, including Great Streets, Neighborhoods and Public Spaces. The Lawn is considered a Great Public Space and is the only place on the list which is part of a college campus.

University Landscape Architect Mary Hughes said the distinction speaks to the Lawn's cultural and historical interest and its integration with the community.

“[Great Public Spaces are] places that have great historical or cultural significance for their local area and are very representative of the values of the place where they are located,” Hughes said.

The APA names only 10 new recipients of the Great Public Spaces award each year. The Lawn has joined a group boasting sites such as Central Park in New York, Washington Park in Colorado and Chicago Union Station in Illinois.

APA spokesperson Roberta Rewers said choosing recipients of the Great Places Award is a “rigorous process,” as the organization can take suggestions for possible sites from virtually anyone. She identified the Lawn’s historical and societal importance as the crucial elements which qualified it for this award.

“[A major feature is] community engagement — with the open space you can interact, you can study, you can read — as well as the historical aspect — [the Lawn's buildings and history] makes it a treasure,” Rewers said.

Hughes said she believes the Lawn earned a spot on the list for its versatility.

“I think what is interesting about the Lawn is that it is a great public space, but it is also a neighborhood,” Hughes said. “It’s also a focus for tourists who come here every year, who aren’t connected with Charlottesville or the University.”

The Lawn was constructed as part of Thomas Jefferson’s Academical Village nearly 200 years ago. It has been a focal point for the University and the Charlottesville community ever since.

As part of the application process, the Office of the Architect was required to demonstrate there are traditions surrounding the Lawn. Hughes said they cited first-year Convocation, the graduation march, the Lighting of the Lawn, Halloween trick-or-treating and many other annual events as examples.

The APA also required proof of a high level of stewardship. Hughes said this was easy to demonstrate due to the help of Facilities Management.

University Facilities Management handles all upkeep and maintenance of the Lawn. The Office of the Architect plans, designs and documents the historical attributes to maintain the Lawn’s signature characteristics.

Hughes said this award parallels the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage Award presented to the University of Virginia in 1987.

“I think it’s just another affirmation of what a special place we have here,” she said. “It’s a place you have the potential to see every day for four years; you can get blasé about it. This is among the most special places in America.”