Bard, McCarthy finish first, second at U.S. Collegiate Championship

<p>Sophomore Derek Bard's 15-under 201 was the third-lowest 54-hole score in the history of Virginia men's golf. Bard also tied a program record for lowest 18-hole score in Friday's opening round, shooting 9-under 63. </p>

Sophomore Derek Bard's 15-under 201 was the third-lowest 54-hole score in the history of Virginia men's golf. Bard also tied a program record for lowest 18-hole score in Friday's opening round, shooting 9-under 63. 

In its final event of the fall season, the No. 20 Virginia men’s golf team placed second at the U.S. Collegiate Championship in Alpharetta, Georgia. Sophomore Derek Bard and senior Denny McCarthy finished first and second, respectively, at the event.

McCarthy opened the tournament Friday by shooting 9-under 63 to tie the program’s single-round scoring record at the event, while Bard shot 6-under 66 to propel Virginia to a 16-under 272 opening round, good for a 6-stroke lead. McCarthy’s 63 also tied Virginia’s 18-hole scoring record, a mark he now shares with Ben Kohles and Cole Kelly.

The Virginia tandem remained in first and second place after McCarthy shot even-par and Bard shot 1-under 71 in the second round, although No. 5 Texas took a 1-stroke lead after the Cavaliers shot 7-over 295, the second-highest score of the day among the 15-team field.

Bard then closed out the tournament with a virtually flawless 8-under 64 to notch his first career tournament win by six strokes. Bard opened the round with an eagle, and did not bogey a single hole, as he went on to birdie six more holes during the round. His 15-under 201 total is the third-lowest 54-hole score in program history, behind Kohles’s 198 and Steve Marino’s 200.

McCarthy shot even-par for the second consecutive day to take second place by two strokes, while Danny Walker’s final-round 2-under 70 notched the Virginia freshman a 25th-place finish. Sophomore Jimmy Stanger and junior Nick McLaughlin finished 59th and 65th, respectively.

Texas and Virginia shot identical final rounds of 11-under 277, as the Longhorns held off the Cavaliers to claim the tournament crown. Virginia finished 18 strokes ahead of No. 15 Georgia Tech and 24 strokes ahead of No. 30 Clemson.

The Cavaliers, now finished with their fall season, will return to competition Feb. 18 in Kauai, Hawaii at the John Burns Intercollegiate.