Cavaliers face Pittsburgh in ACC clash

Football team seeks 2-0 conference record against visiting Panthers

There is something special — perhaps even spiritual — about the focused energy and brisk weather which together shape football under the lights. In this floodlit environment, either in the bleachers or on the gridiron, excitement seems to far surpass that of the typical afternoon game.

So this Saturday evening, when the Virginia football team (3-2, 1-0 ACC) takes on Pittsburgh (3-2, 1-0 ACC), Scott Stadium will be the place to be.

“This game will be great — a night game, Saturday — so I have a feeling a lot of fans will come out, [and] a lot of students,” senior offensive lineman Conner Davis said. “Like high school — playing underneath the lights and all that. ACC game. I mean, it’s everything you’d want in a game.”

In the words of senior middle linebacker and captain Henry Coley, the Cavaliers are “licking their chops.” Following a third-quarter coast to victory over non-conference opponent Kent State, Virginia recognizes that a win Saturday versus an ACC coastal division foe would be an even bigger step in the right direction.

“We have dreams and we have aspirations that [an] ACC championship is very plausible — like, it’s not something that’s just a dream,” Coley said.

The team got off to a less-than-stellar start last weekend against the Golden Flashes. On defense, the Cavaliers gave up a season-high 10 points in the first quarter — though they did force three interceptions, including a 69-yard pick six by junior cornerback Maurice Canady. On the offensive side of the ball, Virginia could hardly get anything going in the first half, only putting up 14 points while giving up two turnovers. Heading into the break, the Cavaliers only held a four-point lead against a Kent State team which lost 66-0 in its previous outing.

When the Virginia players came out of half time, though, they looked like a completely different squad. Each of the Cavaliers’ first four drives in the second half ended in scores — a field goal and three touchdowns — while the Golden Flashes were held to a single field goal, and that coming with fewer than six minutes left in the game against Virginia’s backup unit. The final score stood at 45-13 in favor of the Cavaliers.

Now, Virginia looks to build on this strong second half against Kent State while avoiding a repeat of last year’s performance against Pitt. On the road on Sept. 28, 2013, the Cavaliers managed just 188 total yards of offense in a 14-3 loss against the Panthers. Members of the Virginia squad have said they are putting all emphasis and focus on this season’s meeting without worrying about what happened last year.

“Our focus is on this year’s Pitt team and this year’s Virginia team,” coach Mike London said. “We played them on the road at their place. Now they’re coming here. They have a very good offense. They like to ground control.”

Pittsburgh sophomore quarterback Chad Voytik relies heavily on two skill-position players and potential future NFL draft picks: sophomore running back James Conner and sophomore wide receiver Tyler Boyd. Conner, according to coach London, is a “big back” and an “outstanding runner” and has certainly compiled the statistics to warrant such compliments. He is second in the Football Bowl Subdivision in rushing yards, 791, and touchdowns, 9, and leads the FBS in total carries, 135.

Virginia must also contend with Boyd, who is, in a single word, “dynamic.”

“He’s a special player,” London said. “Particularly, the entire defense is going to have to be alert to where he is because he just doesn’t run long routes — he runs short intermediate routes, he runs crossing routes.”

Boyd, ranked the No. 3 receiver in the 2017 class on CBS Sports NFL Draft Preview, has hauled in 27 passes for 365 yards and four touchdowns this season. He’s shown a good knack for catching the football, whatever the situation: in coverage, in space, with one hand, with two hands, overthrown or underthrown. London and his players understand that limiting the effectiveness of both Boyd and Conner is one factor critical to Cavalier success Saturday night.

Virginia will try to counter the Pitt offense with its much-improved defense — which has forced more turnovers this season at 18 than any other FBS program. Few teams have been as good at stopping the run as the Cavaliers, who have allowed just 86.6 rushing yards per game. The Virginia secondary also gained a boost as senior cornerback Demetrious Nicholson returned to the lineup last weekend after an extended injury.

When the Cavaliers have the ball, they will look to their big-bodied receiving corps, which has broken onto the scene in recent weeks. Junior wide receiver Canaan Severin leads the way with 20 receptions for 225 yards and two touchdowns. At 240.6 yards per game this year, Virginia is averaging almost 30 more passing yards each contest compared to last season, and finally has some serious downfield threats.

“Our receivers are making big plays — we’re starting to get that identity on offense, we’re putting up big yardage back-to-back games, so we’re gaining confidence not just as individuals but as a unit,” Davis said. “And that’s what you’ve got to have.”

Kickoff between the Cavaliers and Panthers is set for 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Scott Stadium.