No. 3 Women’s soccer bests Cardinals in first-ever matchup

With the 2014 regular season winding down and engrossed in the ACC stretch run, the third-ranked Virginia women’s soccer team traveled to Kentucky for its first-ever matchup with new ACC foe Louisville.

Coming off back-to-back six-goal performances against Boston College and NC State, the Cavaliers (14-1, 6-1 ACC) were brimming with confidence as they took on the Cardinals (6-7-2, 2-3-2 ACC), who have struggled thus far in conference play, winning just two of seven ACC games in their inaugural season. The Cavaliers dominated the early stages of the matchup, but Louisville struck first in the 19th minute when freshman forward Alison Price connected on a curling, upper-90 finish from the top of the box, pushing the Cardinals ahead on their first shot of the game.

While this early strike, combined with an unfamiliar environment and 1,875 shouting fans, might intimidate other teams, the Cavaliers quickly reasserted their dominance behind the play of junior forward Makenzy Doniak. In the 24th minute, Doniak settled a cross from sophomore forward Morgan Reuther and finished inside the far post for her team-high 10th goal of the season, further extending her ACC points lead.

With the game tied and the momentum on their side, the Cavaliers capitalized once more. Just before halftime, in the 43rd minute, Reuther made her presence felt once again when she fired a shot off a corner on goal that sophomore goalkeeper Paige Brown confidently saved. However, the rebound fell to sophomore defender Tina Iordanou, who knocked in her first goal of the season — marking the 14th different Cavalier to score thus far.

Both teams were held scoreless in the second half, as the Cavaliers clinched their fourth consecutive win.

Virginia continues its three-game road trip Thursday when the team takes on Duke in Durham. Gametime is set for 7 p.m. and can be viewed online on ESPN3.