Darden takes No. 3 overall spot in annual Economist rankings

School moves up from No. 4, ranks No. 1 in Education Experience

<p>The Darden School, above, is the University&#8217;s primary graduate business school.</p>

The Darden School, above, is the University’s primary graduate business school.

The Economist released its 2014 ranking of the Top 100 international MBA programs, placing the University’s Darden School as No. 3 in the world. For the fourth consecutive year, the annual rankings listed Darden as No. 1 in its “Education Experience” category.

“Darden is very proud of our student-centered approach to learning,” Darden admissions officer Sara Neher said in an email. “With student self-governance as one of the cornerstones of the University, Darden students are actively engaged in and out of the classroom in providing feedback to faculty and staff. We use that feedback to continuously improve the student experience.”

The school ranked fourth in the magazine's rankings last year and third overall in 2012.

“Darden students over the last several years have requested both more customization and choice in their courses as well as more international experiences,” Neher said. “We have added more choice to the first-year curriculum in the form of a week of experiential learning and have added Global Field Electives to the second year.”

In addition to ranking first in the world in both “Personal Development and Educational Experience” and “Diversity of Recruiters,” Darden also placed in the top five for “Opens New Career Opportunities” and “Student Rating of Alumni Effectiveness.”

“Through the school’s high-engagement approach to learning, top-ranked faculty and dynamic network, we develop entrepreneurial, global and responsible leaders who step forward to improve the world,” Darden Dean Bob Bruner said in a University press release. “This latest ranking is a validation of Darden’s extraordinary learning community, its accomplishments and its global reach.”

The Economist’s ranking methodology is weighted heavily on both student and alumni experiences, surveying each and collecting data from the business schools. Data collected includes percentage of international students on campus, days spent by students outside of the United States, and alumni giving percentage.

The London-based magazine’s “Which MBA?” team also takes into account career services, job placement, faculty and student quality and diversity, recruiter diversity and salary changes from before and after graduation.

Darden ranked 11th for the students' "potential to network," 29th for "increase in salary" and third for "open new career opportunities."

Students rated the school's facilities a 4.73 out of 5, good for ninth place in the rankings, and the faculty a 4.83 — second in the total rankings.

The University of Chicago business school nabbed the top spot in the overall rankings, followed by Dartmouth College's program.