U.Va. drama production “Confesses” more questions than answers

“Every Tongue Confess” starts its run Thursday, Oct. 9 at the Ruth Caplin Theatre

Every Tongue Confess
September 2014
This photograph is licensed to the U.Va. Department of Drama for its marketing and advertising purposes. Third party use without consent of the photographer is prohibited.
Every Tongue Confess September 2014 This photograph is licensed to the U.Va. Department of Drama for its marketing and advertising purposes. Third party use without consent of the photographer is prohibited.

This Thursday, the drama department will begin the run of its first production of the season: “Every Tongue Confess,” directed by Assoc. Drama Prof. Theresa Davis.

Arts & Entertainment sat down with two of the show's actresses, third-year College students Amanda Diamond and Madeleine Lawson, to discuss their characters and what audiences can expect when the show opens at the Caplin Theatre.

Arts & Entertainment: What should audiences expect to see in "Every Tongue Confess"?

Lawson: ETC is a story about family, faith, prejudice, guilt, hate and love in a small town in Alabama. It's almost in the fashion of classic epics, which makes it very difficult to pick out just one major theme. It weaves together several story lines and time overlaps a lot, but basically it follows the burnings of black churches in the South during the 1990s. The goal is really to raise more questions than answers.

A&E: What is your role in the show?

Diamond: I play Missionary and Tender Meeks, the missionary of the church and a social worker, [respectively].

L: I play Benny Pride, a 15-year-old girl who has grown up with her mom in Kentucky before being forced to move in with her father in Alabama. My role is great because I'm really sort of the mother to my mom. There is a lot of role reversal going on.

A&E: What was your favorite part of working on "Every Tongue Confess"?

D: My favorite thing about working with this show is dealing with the idea of magical realism and how our acting of these moments help[s] to tell a story with many twists and turns that aren't always intuitive — and more specifically learning about that as an actor.

L: Singing! I love all the blues and gospel music in this show. It really gives the piece the visceral, spiritual aspect that can't be fully realized with just the text.

A&E: What was the most challenging part of diving into these characters/roles?

L: My character has a huge journey over the course of the play. I literally grow up as the play progresses. A lot happens, and it's really hard to process, deal with it, and stay fully present. Due to events in the play — no spoilers! — I go into shock and actually lose my voice. It's been very challenging dealing with that internal struggle in a way that is engaged and alive on stage.

A&E: How has being in the show affected you as an actor?

L: This show has opened me to the possibility of magic, miracle and unseen mystery in my day-to-day life. I don't want to predict audience reactions, but I hope they come willing to embrace the magic and maybe carry some of it home with them too. I think at the core of this play there is a lot of love, and I want people to feel that.

A&E: Anything else you'd like to share?

D: I would share with the audience that Marcus Gardley — [the] playwright — doesn't answer questions with the play, he raises questions the audience should answer. So be engaged as an audience member —you're a part of the storytelling. An audience member’s engagement will allow them to get the best experience and fullest potential from the piece.

“Every Tongue Confess” will be showing Oct. 9-11, 15-17 at 8 p.m., with a matinee Oct. 19 at 2 p.m. Free tickets are available to University students through the Arts Box Office.