Men’s golf finishes sixth at Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate

<p>Senior All-American Denny McCarthy placed second individually at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate as Virginia finished sixth in the 15-team field. </p>

Senior All-American Denny McCarthy placed second individually at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate as Virginia finished sixth in the 15-team field. 

The No. 28 Virginia men’s golf team finished sixth at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate, as rain in Johnson City, Tennessee created unplayable course conditions and forced the cancellation of Sunday’s final round.

The Cavaliers, who won the tournament last year with a 22-under 842 three-round total, were unable to finish Friday’s opening round before rain suspended play. After completing the first round Saturday morning, Virginia stood at 11-over 299, good for 11th place in the 15-team field.

The team returned to the course Saturday afternoon, with an 11-under 277 effort which propelled the Cavaliers up five spots to sixth place. Multiple teams finished their second rounds Sunday morning before the final round was cancelled due to weather.

No. 9 Wake Forest took the tournament by five strokes, shooting an 18-under 558. Virginia’s even-par 576 finish fell three strokes behind in-state rival No. 33 Virginia Tech, and five strokes ahead of ACC-foe North Carolina State.

Senior Denny McCarthy, who placed second at the event in 2013, repeated as runner-up this year. McCarthy recorded an 8-under 136, two strokes behind tournament champion and Wake forest freshman Will Zalatoris.

Junior Nick McLaughlin and sophomore Derek Bard, Virginia’s lowest golfers heading into the weekend, finished 40th and 48th, respectively. McLaughlin shot a second-round 3-under to tally a 3-over 147, while Bard finished at 4-over 148. Freshman Danny Walker, competing as a non-scoring individual, recorded a 2-under 142 to place 12th in his second collegiate event.

Virginia returns to action this Friday at the U.S. Intercollegiate in Alpharetta, Georgia, where the team finished fourth last fall.