Run the Jewels’ latest project is not to miss

A&E chats with American hip-hop duo about upcoming Charlottesville appearance

<p></p>

In anticipation of Run the Jewels’ appearance at The Jefferson Theater this Sunday, Arts & Entertainment sat down with American hip-hop duo Killer Mike and EI-P to discuss the musicians’ latest project and their upcoming performance.

Arts & Entertainment: When did you get the idea for the Run the Jewels project?

Killer Mike: We enjoy hanging around together. We really just enjoy generally rocking together, so this was a great opportunity to continue that and make something great.

AE: Killer Mike, you put a big emphasis on family. How does that impact the work you guys produce and how you perform?

KM: From a family aspect it makes it not hard or bad, but my oldest boy is 20 now, and my youngest daughter is seven. When I’m home, I just try and do regular dad [stuff]. Just 'cause your dad is a rapper doesn’t mean you don’t get to do normal child things. And it’s worth it knowing that they are clothed and fed when I’m on tour.

AE: Do you ever sense a North/South divide between the two of you? Was that something you had to overcome when first working together?

El-P: I can tell you this: when we do our Civil War reenactments, we’re on the same side. I think we feed off each other. Our differences are exciting. I think that we each bring something that is specific to us, because of the way we grew up. Neither of us can predict what it’s going to be. That’s one of the most exciting things about working with Mike. It’s going to be different from the sum of its parts.

AE: What is the dynamic like in the studio? How do you get your best work done?

El-P: We do it together, always in the same room. Always together.

AE: Has your approach to "RTJ2" been different than that of your first album?

KM: We wanted it harder and we wanted it darker. We knew we wanted a more intense version of what you were used to.

AE: What are you guys working on outside of the music industry?

KM: Opening another barbershop. I really wanna get into more photography. I take pictures of cars and stuff, but I want to take pictures of nude women. I need to check with my wife on that one. I think I just got my first picture published in some magazine.

AE: Any up-and-coming artists you would recommend?

KM: Rara out of Atlanta. You can get four different producers from the South, and they’ll all have a different style. Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta and Memphis — they all have different styles. That’s what’s so great about the South. [Rara] took what Goodie Mob and Outkast did and expanded on it, took it a whole new direction.

AE: Who do you want to call out as the softest rapper in the game, and why?

KM: I can’t really say. Twenty years ago, MC Hammer was considered soft, and he would beat your ass. He was from Compton, you know what I’m sayin’? I can’t say, ‘cause I’ve never been in a fight or flight situation with another rapper. And I hope that I never am, outside of El.

AE: What is your favorite non-rap album?

KM: "Led Zeppelin I" and "[Led Zeppelin] II" for the tie. Honorary mention to Black Sabbath.

AE: Do you have a standard pre-show meal?

KM: Right now we’re trying to get in shape for shows. Drinking a lot of water and [eating] salad. … I think for El it’s a cigarette.

AE: And what would you do if you were not making music?

KM: If I wasn’t doing music, I’d definitely be doing the same [stuff] from a business standpoint. This is all I ever wanted to do, and I’m so lucky that it happened. I don’t really have a Plan B at this point.

Run The Jewels will be performing this Sunday, Nov. 2 at the Jefferson Theater Downtown. Their album is available for free from their website.