Volleyball salvages weekend split with late comeback at Virginia Tech

<p>Sophomore outside hitter Haley Kole had a team-high 12 kills in the Cavaliers' straight-sets loss to No. 11 North Carolina. </p>

Sophomore outside hitter Haley Kole had a team-high 12 kills in the Cavaliers' straight-sets loss to No. 11 North Carolina. 

The Virginia volleyball team split two more conference games this past weekend against North Carolina and Virginia Tech.

The Cavaliers (11-8, 4-2 ACC) were swept (25-23, 25-14, 25-16) by No. 11 UNC (13-2, 4-1 ACC) Friday night in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

The teams went back and forth in the first set for 15 ties and six lead changes before an attack error by the Cavaliers allowed the Tar Heels to take the set.

Virginia would not take the lead again in the match, as they were outplayed by the Tar Heels in all facets of the game. North Carolina outhit the Cavaliers .375 to .198 and dominated the serving game, hitting seven service aces to Virginia’s three. On the defensive side, the Tar Heels out-blocked the Cavaliers seven to one-and-a-half.

Sophomore outside hitter Haley Kole led Virginia with 12 kills and sophomore libero Karlie Suber added 15 digs.

Junior outside hitter Leigh Andrew paced North Carolina with 11 kills. Senior libero Ece Taner recorded 15 digs to match Suber.

Virginia Tech (8-10, 1-4 ACC) jumped out to a two-set lead Sunday afternoon in Blacksburg, but the Cavaliers came back for their first five-set win of the season (12-25, 17-25, 25-22, 25-18, 18-16).

The Cavaliers lost the first set 12-25 after the Hokies won nine straight points to close out the set.

Virginia took the lead in the second set, but once again, the Hokies used scoring runs to claim the advantage and close out the set.

In the third set, Virginia Tech had a 20-17 lead, but the Cavaliers rallied, winning eight of the last 10 points to take the set. From 15-15 on in the fourth set, Virginia won 10 of the last 13 points to force the deciding fifth set.

The Cavaliers came back for the last time in the fifth set, fending off three match points before taking three straight points to win the match.

Junior middle hitter Natalie Bausback led Virginia with 13 kills against the Hokies. Freshman middle hitter Haley Fauntleroy added eight kills in her first start of the season.

Virginia Tech senior middle blocker Kathryn Caine hit .652 for the game with 16 kills and only one error on 23 attempts to lead the Hokies.

The Cavaliers continue their season Friday in a rematch against ACC rival Duke.