Warner out-raises Gillespie in third quarter

Incumbent has $8 million cash on hand

<p>Sen. Mark Warner (above) visited the University's Focused Ultrasound Center Wednesday morning while on a tour of the state. He is up for reelection this November.</p>

Sen. Mark Warner (above) visited the University's Focused Ultrasound Center Wednesday morning while on a tour of the state. He is up for reelection this November.

Democratic Sen. Mark Warner raised $2 million for his re-election campaign in the third quarter of this year, bringing his total cash on hand to $8 million. His Republican challenger Ed Gillespie raised $1.8 million in the third quarter.

Warner has raised $16 million so far this campaign. Warner’s campaign manager Trey Nix said Warner’s job creation message had attracted many donors.

“Our campaign has been knocking doors and making phone calls since the spring and we are beginning to see the fruits of our labor pay off,” Nix said in a press release.

Center for Politics spokesperson Geoffrey Skelley said Warner is unlikely to lose the election.

“At this point … Warner has a pretty solid advantage,” Skelley said. “He has over $8 million on hand. … Gillespie does not have nearly that kind of war chest.”

Skelley said Warner could save his leftover funds for his next campaign, or donate it to other candidates he supports.

Though Gillespie is behind in funds at this point in the race, his campaign said many donors who previously supported Warner have chosen to endorse Gillespie in this race. The campaign cited the the Fraternal Order of Police of Virginia and the Virginia Police Benevolent Association. According to a Gillespie campaign press release, since January, 87 donors who previously donated to the Mark Warner campaign have given to the Gillespie campaign.

“Virginians are disappointed, and Virginians know that we can, and must, do better,” Gillespie said in a press release.

The general election will take place Nov. 4.