Weekend Previews: Oct. 3-5

A look at weekend action for the Virginia men's soccer, field hockey, and men's cross country teams

Men’s Soccer

What: No. 13 Virginia (5-3-1, 1-1-1 ACC) vs. Pittsburgh (3-3-3, 0-2-1 ACC)

Where: Ambrose Urbanic Field at Petersen Sports Complex, Pittsburgh

When: Saturday, 7 p.m.

The Virginia men’s soccer team travels to Ambrose Urbanic Field to face the Pittsburgh Panthers in a Saturday night conference clash, seeking a second ACC win.

The matchup marks just the second contest between the two teams as conference foes, as Pittsburgh joined the ACC in 2013. Last season, the Cavaliers earned a resounding 5-0 victory against the Panthers at Klöckner Stadium. Then-freshman forward Riggs Lennon scored two goals, while then-sophomore midfielder Todd Wharton, then-junior midfielder Eric Bird and then-junior forward Ryan Zinkhan each added their own goal as Virginia shutout the Panthers and outshot them 17-2.

This year, Pittsburgh plays host to the Cavaliers, intent on keeping the margin a little closer. The Panthers are in the midst of a middling season so far, and they are hoping for their first conference win since joining the conference.

Meanwhile, Virginia is coming off the heels of its come-from-behind victory against James Madison Tuesday night. The Cavaliers trailed 0-1 late, scoring with less than two minutes remaining in regulation and again with just more than three minutes left in the first overtime to win 2-1. Junior forward Darius Madison scored both goals.

The match will be broadcast on ESPN3.

—compiled by Chuck Siegel

Field Hockey

What: No. 3 Virginia (9-2, 3-0 ACC) vs. No. 1 North Carolina (8-1, 2-1 ACC)

Where: Francis E. Henry Stadium, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

When: Friday, 6 p.m.

In a battle of top-5 teams, the Cavaliers visit Chapel Hill Friday to face their ACC rival Tar Heels. Virginia has the chance to notch just its second-ever win against a No. 1 ranked team.

It’s been a strong past few weeks for the Cavaliers, earning eight straight victories. Three of the last four wins have come against top-10 teams: No. 6 Duke, No. 7 Albany, and then-No. 10 Syracuse. Virginia’s latest outing was an 8-0 drubbing of Vermont at home last Sunday, a game which saw sophomore striker Riley Tata post her first career hat trick. The Cavaliers held the Catamounts to just a single shot, and though UNC poses a stronger offensive threat, Virginia will look to mount a similar defensive effort.

The Tar Heels have looked impressive all season long, standing in the top spot since the first regular season poll. Senior forward Charlotte Craddock led her team to a 2-1 victory last Sunday against then-No. 2 Connecticut, scoring her team-leading ninth goal of the season to give UNC the edge. The Tar Heels own a 3-0 record against the other teams ranked in the top-5. Having already beat No. 2 Maryland, No. 4 Iowa, and No. 5 UConn, the Cavaliers are the only top team they have yet to face.

—compiled by Peter Nance

Men’s Cross Country

What: No. 14 Virginia at Washington Invitational

Where: Jefferson Park Golf Course; Seattle, Washington

When: Saturday, Oct. 4; 11:45 a.m.

A week removed from their victory at the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational, the No. 14 men of Virginia cross country travel cross country — literally — to the Washington Invitational in Seattle, Washington.

The Cavaliers have a staunch test before them in their final competition prior to the ACC Championship on the last day of October — nine of the 11 teams in the field are ranked in the top 30.

Five of Virginia’s opponents rest in the top 10 nationally. No. 2 Northern Arizona is the highest-ranked program, and No. 5 Portland, No. 6 Stanford, No. 7 Indiana and No. 9 Villanova fall in line after.

Saturday’s meet will give the Cavaliers, whose ultimate goal rests in the top-10 — and beyond, a taste of NCAA Championship-level competition.

—compiled by Matthew Wurzburger