Weekend Previews: Oct. 10-12

<p>Sophomore striker Riley Tata and the Virginia field hockey team will try to pick up wins 11 and 12 this weekend, when the No. 8 Cavaliers travel to Richmond for a Friday-evening contest and welcome No. 13 Wake Forest for a Sunday matinee. </p>

Sophomore striker Riley Tata and the Virginia field hockey team will try to pick up wins 11 and 12 this weekend, when the No. 8 Cavaliers travel to Richmond for a Friday-evening contest and welcome No. 13 Wake Forest for a Sunday matinee.

The Skinny on weekend competition for Virginia’s field hockey, women’s golf and men’s golf teams. More extensive previews for the volleyball and men’s soccer teams are available online. The volleyball preview is also available in Thursday’s issue of The Cavalier Daily.

Field Hockey

What: No. 8 Virginia (10-3, 4-0 ACC) vs. Richmond (7-5, 3-1 Atlantic 10), No. 13 Wake Forest (8-4, 1-2 ACC)

Where: Crenshaw Field, Richmond, Virginia; University Hall Turf Field

When: Friday, 5:30 p.m.; Sunday, 1 p.m.

After a gut-wrenching loss to Ohio State Sunday which ended its nine-game winning streak, the Virginia field hockey team looks to bounce back this weekend as it visits the Richmond Spiders before returning home for a game against Wake Forest.

The Cavaliers have gone undefeated against Richmond dating to 2006. Last season, Virginia bested Richmond 2-1 in a hard-fought game which ended with Carissa Vittese’s sudden-death goal. The Spiders will look to end their streak of losses to Virginia in short order.

Virginia may encounter a more challenging opponent in the Demon Deacons. Wake Forest has struggled so far in the ACC and is seeking its second conference victory.

The Demon Deacons will be coming off a home game against No. 1 North Carolina when they visit Virginia. Wake Forest has dropped five of its last six games to the Cavaliers, including a 3-0 shutout last year. After an up-and-down start to the year, the Demon Deacons aim to get on the right track with a Sunday win.

Virginia, meanwhile, will look to remain undefeated in the ACC following its non-conference loss to the Buckeyes.

—compiled by Chuck Siegel

Women’s Golf

What: Tar Heel Invitational

Where: UNC Finley Golf Course, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

When: Oct. 10-12

The Virginia women’s golf team heads south this weekend for the Tar Heel Invitational, the penultimate tournament of the fall season. Ranked No. 22 according to Golfweek, the Cavaliers will look to build on their sixth-place finish at the late-September Mason Rudolph Championship, their most recent tournament.

The field at the Tar Heel Invite will certainly be full of talent, with 10 of the 18 teams competing ranked in the Golfweek top 25, including No. 1 South Carolina and No. 2 Arkansas. Virginia placed 15th at the event last season, when then-senior Portland Rosen led the team with an eighth-place individual finish.

Junior Lauren Coughlin finished tops for the team at the Mason Rudolph, carding a 54-hole 6-over 222 en route to 16th place on the leaderboard. In the spring, Coughlin finished 48th in the NCAA Championships, second best among Cavaliers at the event.

After this weekend, Virginia will participate in one more tournament this fall: The Landfall Tradition in late October. The team will resume play in February at the UCF Challenge.

—compiled by Peter Nance

Men’s Golf

What: Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate

Where: Blackthorn Club, Jonesborough, Tennessee

When: Oct. 10-12

This weekend, the Virginia men’s golf team will compete in the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate at Blackthorn Club in Jonesborough, Tennessee.

The No. 21 Cavaliers, one of six teams in the tournament field ranked in the top 50 of the latest Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings and the event's defending champions, will look to claim their second title of the fall season.

Virginia already seized victory at the Northern Intercollegiate Sept. 5-7, when sophomores Jimmy Stanger and Derek Bard each notched a top-10 finish and senior Ji Soo Park placed 11th.

No. 31 East Tennessee State hosts the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate, a tournament held each of the last 16 years. This year’s 15-team field features No. 12 Wake Forest, the Cavaliers and No. 26 Virginia Tech as its highest-ranked participants.

Last October Virginia sputtered to 10th place on day one of the tournament before catching fire on the second and third days to take home the title.

The Cavaliers shot a dizzying 29 strokes under par in the last 36 holes of play as current senior Denny McCarthy carded two straight 6-under 66’s to finish two strokes back of individual champ then-junior Scott Vincent, Virginia Tech’s first-ever first-team All-American.

The event also saw Bard’s emergence as a force in college golf, as the New Hartford, New York native finished fourth in his first collegiate tournament.

Army, Coastal Carolina, Missouri, Furman, Kent State, UNC-Wilmington, Memphis, Tennessee, North Carolina State, Pennsylvania State and Villanova will also compete at this year’s tournament.

—compiled by Matthew Morris