Women’s golf places fifth at Landfall Tradition as Szokol finishes fourth on individual leaderboard

<p>Sophomore Lauren Diaz-Yi finished 14th overall at the Landfall Tradition, posting a 1-over 217, while junior Elizabeth Szokol placed fourth for her best-ever finish at a collegiate event. </p>

Sophomore Lauren Diaz-Yi finished 14th overall at the Landfall Tradition, posting a 1-over 217, while junior Elizabeth Szokol placed fourth for her best-ever finish at a collegiate event. 

In its final event of the fall, the No. 16 Virginia women’s golf team placed fifth in the 18-team field at the Landfall Tradition in Wilmington, North Carolina this weekend. The Cavaliers shot 8-over 872 at the three-day tournament, including 6-over 294 in the final round.

No. 11 Wake Forest took the trophy with an even-par 864, four strokes ahead of second-place No. 24 Alabama. Filling in the rest of the top five, No. 30 Notre Dame and No. 2 South Carolina finished in a tie for third, just one stroke ahead of Virginia.

Junior Elizabeth Szokol finished tops for the Cavaliers in fourth place at 3-under 213 — her second time leading the team at an event this fall after she carded Virginia’s best score at the season-opening Cougar Classic. Szokol’s first and third rounds were both under par, with three-day scores of 69, 73 and 71. Following Szokol's transfer from Northwestern during the summer, this was her first top 10 as a Cavalier and the best finish of her collegiate career.

Sophomore Lauren Diaz-Yi, individual champion of the Tar Heel Invitational two weeks ago, finished 10 spots back at 14th with a 1-over 217, while senior Briana Mao placed 10 spots behind her with a 4-over 220. Junior Lauren Coughlin shot 9-over 225 to come in at 55th, while freshman Lyberty Anderson was one stroke behind her in 61st place.

The Cavaliers break for the next three and a half months, and will return to action Feb. 8-10 at the UCF Challenge in Orlando, Florida.