Women’s rowing takes second place at Princeton Chase

<p>31 Virginia rowers saw their first action of the fall season this Sunday at Lake Carnegie, New Jersey. </p>

31 Virginia rowers saw their first action of the fall season this Sunday at Lake Carnegie, New Jersey. 

The Virginia women’s rowing team competed Sunday in the Princeton Chase, a three-mile head race at Lake Carnegie, New Jersey. The Varsity A boat captured second place, finishing less than a second behind first-place Brown with a time of 14:26.465.

The Cavaliers’ top eight — which beat Brown by 20 seconds last week — had the same lineup as it did for the Head of the Charles: sophomore Colette Lucas-Conwell, coxswain; freshman Shawna Sims, stroke; sophomore Georgia Ratcliff, 7; sophomore Hannah Osborne, 6; senior Lizzy Youngling, 5; senior Hemingway Benton, 4; sophomore Erin Briggs, 3; junior Sam Casto, 2; and junior Mackenzi Sherman, bow.

Syracuse, Yale and Princeton’s Varsity A boats followed, while Virginia’s second varsity eight came in sixth place with a time of 15:14.425 — first among the 2V8s. The boat included members of the Varsity Four who went to the Charles last week.

The Cavaliers’ third eight finished just behind them in seventh at 15:20.834. Yale B, Columbia and Brown B rounded out the top 10.

Virginia had five of the 50 total entries in the Women’s Varsity Eight race. The fourth (15:31.147) and fifth (16:08.244) boats placed 14th and 24th, respectively. The fourth boat placed ahead of both Syracuse and Princeton’s second boats.

Thirty-one Virginia rowers saw their first action of the fall season, including six freshman, 12 sophomores, six juniors and seven seniors.

The Cavaliers’ next race will be the Rivanna Romp Nov. 16, which is the team’s home regatta and the final competition of the fall head-race season.