Wrestling opens season with Cavalier Duals Sunday

Team ready to build on success of 2013-14 season.

Virginia wrestling had a season for the ages last year, tallying 18 wins, only one shy of the program high set in 2011-12. But head coach Steve Garland’s team is not content with being very good or even great — a Garland team strives for excellence.

The grueling path to excellence begins Sunday with the Cavalier Duals. Virginia hosts Anderson, VMI and George Mason at Memorial Gymnasium for what should be three straightforward contests for the Cavaliers.

“We have high expectations,” Garland said. “Our battle cry this year is ‘good to great.’ It doesn’t matter who we’re wrestling. We have to compete the same no matter what.”

Virginia's schedule, however, promises to present forceful opposition this season, with three slated one-on-one showdowns with perennial national contenders in addition to appearances at two of the toughest individual tournaments in the land — the Las Vegas Cliff Keen Invitational and the Southern Scuffle.

“These early challenges provide us with the opportunity to see where we are with the best guys in the country,” senior Nick Sulzer said. “When you wrestle top-level talent, chances are they are going to expose some areas of weakness within your wrestling. Through this exposure we have the ability to recognize our mistakes.”

The Cavaliers are prepared as ever for the likes of Virginia Tech, Iowa and Ohio State — teams which placed in the top-eight of last year’s NCAA Championship. Their nucleus of talent was infused with a 14th-ranked recruiting class, the triumphant returns of sophomore George DiCamillo and senior Derek Papagianopoulos from injury and the addition of Keith Gavin as an assistant coach.

Gavin was a two-time All-American for Pittsburgh in 2007 and 2008. He went undefeated en route to a national championship at 174 pounds in 2007. Since graduation, Gavin has been a member of U.S. National Freestyle Wrestling Team and is currently ranked first in the nation at 86 kilograms.

“Keith is the best technician I’ve ever been around,” Garland said. “It couldn’t have been a better fit. [Assistant coach Jordan Leen] and I have never been happier.”

As an assistant coach, Gavin is not afraid to get down and dirty. He takes to the mat to help the team practice what he teaches, and he is but a handful of human beings able to beat up on Sulzer.

“He is the type of person you want to be mentored by,” Sulzer said. “Having him to train with on a daily basis is a new experience because I feel like I am constantly learning. I feel like I have become more of a student of the sport.”

All eyes will be firmly affixed on Sulzer, the two-time All American who has reached the NCAA tournament in each year and has improved upon his final position. He earned fourth-place honors in 2014 and is currently ranked second at 165 pounds behind Oklahoma State junior Alex Dieringer.

Sulzer will not be satisfied until he becomes a national championship and believes Virginia wrestling has given him the assets to realize that dream.

“I believe I will be the 2015 NCAA Champion because of the resources I have been provided,” Sulzer said. “I have great people surrounding me, people who are willing to sacrifice anything in order for me to reach my goal. When you are given this much it is difficult to fail.”

But Sulzer is not the lone star on the Cavaliers’ roster. The starting lineup is packed with potential from 125 pounds up to heavyweight — six wrestlers are ranked in the top-25 of their respective weight classes.

Garland does have two holes to fill due to the graduation of Stephen Doty and Jon Fausey, and though he is being coy in announcing his plans to replace the two he is confident in the team as a whole to rise up and be better this year than they were last year.

“We have some guys who are going to step up,” Garland said. “Some guys are going to amaze in terms of their development. These guys are going to be as good as they want to be.”

Virginia opens the Cavalier Duals against Anderson. The match begins Sunday at 10 a.m.