Georgia Tech runs all over Virginia, deals Cavaliers 35-10 defeat

The Virginia football team rushed for 22 yards on 16 carries Saturday afternoon at Georgia Tech in the Cavaliers’ final game before a trip to No. 2 Florida State. Meanwhile, the Yellow Jackets racked up 268 yards on the ground while running the football 63 times. Redshirt senior A-back Synjyn Days led the charge, producing 147 rushing yards on 24 carries.

That combination — along with two interceptions by sophomore quarterback Greyson Lambert — was enough to send Virginia (4-5, 2-3 ACC) home with a 35-10 defeat before 46,657 fans at Bobby Dodd Stadium on a windy, cool day in Atlanta.

The Cavaliers have now lost three consecutive games since a 24-19 victory against Pittsburgh Oct. 4. Virginia must win two of its final three games to achieve bowl eligibility.

Georgia Tech (7-2, 4-2 ACC) opened Saturday’s game ranked third in the Football Bowl Subdivision in rushing offense and 93rd in rushing defense. The Cavaliers struggled to exploit the latter trend from the start, posting just six yards on six carries in the first quarter.

Still, Virginia remained in striking distance in the opening period, as Lambert responded to Georgia Tech’s two touchdowns by connecting with senior tight end Zachary Swanson for a 13-yard score with 1:10 on the clock.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Justin Thomas delivered his second passing touchdown of the day seven seconds into the second quarter to put the Yellow Jackets up by 14 again at 21-7.

Virginia ended first-half scoring when junior place kicker Ian Frye knocked in a field goal from 22 yards out with 4:18 on the clock.

However, the second half was all Georgia Tech. Days accounted for the only touchdowns scored by either team, the first coming on a four-yard run and the second on a 17-yard reception thrown by Thomas.

The Cavaliers were shut out after halftime for the fourth consecutive game. Virginia last scored a second-half touchdown against Kent State in its fifth game of the season.

Kickoff against the Seminoles is scheduled for Saturday at 6:30 p.m. ESPN will carry the game live.