​Mark Warner holds rally at U.Va. with McAuliffe, Herring, John Warner

Senate candidate hopes to rally base, get out vote

Students and community members joined Sen. Mark Warner, D-VA, and other Virginia leaders in the Newcomb Gallery Saturday afternoon to rally support for his campaign against Republican challenger Ed Gillespie.

With just three days until the election, Warner stressed the importance of last-minute campaigning and support efforts.

“Elections matter,” he said. “We are three days out and it is going to be a close election, it always is. I am taking nothing for granted. ... You do your part over the next three and a half days, and I will do mine.”

Gov. Terry McAuliffe, Attorney General Mark Herring and former Sen. John Warner, R-VA, a Law School alumnus, spoke in support of Warner’s campaign.

“This world is far more dangerous than I have ever seen it in my lifetime,” John Warner said. “Mark serves on the intelligence committee; he knows more about the problems facing our country than anyone. He has been trying to protect us all along the way; why would we not keep him in office?”

McAuliffe highlighted the partnership that he and Warner have formed.

“I need a partner in the Senate, so we can protect the assets that we have here in Virginia, and that is what Mark Warner will do,” McAuliffe said. “Mark Warner is going to fight for you every day of your life. He has been fighting for us and now it is time to fight for him.”

Warner emphasized his commitment to bipartisanship in the Senate.

“Whether it is grappling with student debt, our national balance sheet or helping our veterans get the help they deserve, it is going to take people who can find common ground,” Warner said. “My opponent called himself a partisan warrior. The last thing we need right now in Washington is a partisan warrior. We need the parties to work together to fix the problems facing us.”

First-year College student Brandon McKay said he appreciates the fact that Warner is a proponent of cooperation across the aisle.

“I’ve been a big Mark Warner supporter for the last couple elections,” McKay said. “I never want to put party in front of progress. We have to work together to get things done, and Mark Warner has shown time and time again that’s what he is all about.”

Herring acknowledged that this election would be close, similar to the Attorney General race last year.

“I am here as exhibit A that every vote really matters,” Herring said. “Talk to your friends, talk to your neighbors, offer up rides to get to the polls, because that is what it is going to take to send Mark Warner back to the United States Senate.”

Warner campaign spokesperson Natalie Raps said it is important to hold rallies on college campuses to inform students about pertinent issues and mobilize support.

“[Warner is] working across the aisle in the Senate to pass legislation to provide new tools to help graduates pay down student debt, make college more affordable and to create jobs for the next generation,” Raps said in an email. “Students are an integral part of our efforts, and we have campus leaders all across Virginia who are helping encourage students to get out and vote for Senator Warner on Tuesday.”

Fourth-year College student Luke Priddy said he supports Warner because of his dedication to his constituents.

“I think Warner is a good Senator,” Priddy said. “I think he cares a lot about his constitutions. His office is filled with a lot of casework, which is all about helping people.”

John Warner said Virginians are fortunate Warner is willing to take on another six years as Senator.

“The problems today are enormous, and only experienced, dedicated people should be given the reigns to help us solve them,” John Warner said. “Mark Warner is one of those people.”

Warner concluded the rally by urging voters to get out and vote.

“We can’t ever conclude that we can’t solve our problems,” he said. “We may not get it 100 percent right the first time, but it starts with the premise that we have to elect the people that will work together to get it done.”

Warner faces Republican candidate Ed Gillespie and Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis in the election Tuesday.