“The Comeback” Stages a Comeback

After premiering nine years ago the HBO comedy returns for a second season

In 2005, the new HBO comedy “The Comeback” premiered. Though the show never quite took off with audiences, critics raved about this brilliant series co-created by Lisa Kudrow (who was, at the time, fresh off of “Friends”) and Michael Patrick King. The show was dropped after its first season, but through word of mouth and the introduction of HBOGo, the show has built up a large following.

For years, it looked as if this show would stand in its entirety as a brilliant 13-episode series, until the impossible happened: it was renewed.

The first season of “The Comeback” follows the has-been actress Valerie Cherish (Kudrow), desperately trying to claw her way back to “celebrity,” as she allows for a reality television crew to follow her and film her experience on a new sitcom called “Room and Bored.”

Many people admit this first season was ahead of its time, as the format of reality television was still evolving when the season began. Audiences were ultimately unsure what to make of the show.

Kudrow immerses herself in Valerie, an extremely insecure fame-obsessed C-list actress who always finds herself in uncomfortable situations. But the show plays off this social ineptitude and uses this comedic character to make the audiences simultaneously laugh and cringe. At times, Valerie is the least endearing member of the cast, but the show manages to captivate audiences and somehow make them sympathize with her. Still, Valerie will do anything to create what she considers “good television,” and constantly plays up to the camera crew in an awkward yet brilliant display of personality.

The second season begins by filling in the gaps of Valerie’s past nine years. One of the writers on “Room and Bored” (played by Lance Barber), who Valerie constantly butted heads with, has written a new HBO show called “Seeing Red” about his time on the show and his heroin addiction. This addiction, he claims, was due to one “neurotic older sitcom actress”: Valerie Cherish. Instead of being upset at this new show for smearing her name, the fame-obsessed Valerie readily accepts HBO’s offer to play herself in “Seeing Red.”

“The Comeback” provides audiences with a brilliant satire on Hollywood politics, poking fun while showing great insight into the business — ranging from the worried publicist to the nagging executive. With Valerie desperate for any fame — even hiring college amateurs to document her life — the show finds humor in the saddest and most uncomfortable situations.

The performances remain stellar all around, with the bulk of the main cast returning in this second season, including Valerie’s husband Mark (Damien Young), hair stylist Mickey (Robert Michael Morris) and the reality show’s producer Jane (Laura Silverman).

The renewal of “The Comeback” is arguably even more impressive and exciting than the Netflix-revived “Arrested Development.” Valerie Cherish is as ready as ever to trade in her dignity for popularity in the second season, promising much excitement and hilarity in episodes to come. With the first few episodes just as strong as the once-one-season-wonder, the return of “The Comeback” may just develop into one of the funniest and smartest comedies on television.