Virginia Tech edges Virginia in rollercoaster regular-season finale, 24-20

The Virginia football team fell to Virginia Tech, 24-20, Friday night in Blacksburg, leaving coach Mike London’s Cavaliers one win short of a bowl game and sending the Hokies to their 22nd consecutive bowl-game appearance under coach Frank Beamer.

Virginia (5-7, 3-5 ACC) and Virginia Tech (6-6, 3-5 ACC) made game-changing plays throughout a rollercoaster evening at Lane Stadium, but the Hokies laughed last on junior quarterback Michael Brewer’s nine-yard touchdown pass to redshirt freshman tight end Bucky Hodges with 1:48 to play.

Despite an injury to sophomore quarterback Greyson Lambert on the first play of the ensuing drive, the Cavaliers — directed by sophomore backup quarterback Matt Johns — marched to the Virginia Tech 36-yard line on sophomore wide receiver Keeon Johnson’s 18-yard reception with 12 seconds remaining.

Staring down fourth and five, Johns rolled to his right and ran out of options, as Hokies sophomore defensive end Ken Ekanem sacked him to decide the game in Virginia Tech’s favor.

Just minutes before, Virginia had the momentum and the Hokies were in hot water.

After Lambert connected with senior tight end Zachary Swanson for a go-ahead 20-yard touchdown reception with 2:55 to go, the Cavaliers held a 20-17 lead. Lambert completed seven straight passes in taking Virginia from its own 11-yard line to the Hokie end zone.

Lambert finished the day 15-32 for 211 yards, a touchdown and an interception, while Brewer — who briefly left the game in the first half — completed 15 of 33 passes for 235 yards, two scores and a pick-six by junior defensive tackle David Dean.

The game started with a pair of field goals split between the Cavaliers and the Hokies .

Virginia Tech struck touchdown pay-dirt first when freshman free safety C.J. Reavis blocked Virginia senior co-captain Alec Vozenilek’s punt in the Cavalier end zone. Hodges recovered the ball for a 10-3 Hokie lead.

Virginia answered on junior place kicker Ian Frye’s 21-yard field goal and Dean’s defensive touchdown.

Virginia Tech regained the lead at 17-13 on Brewer’s 36-yard touchdown pass to freshman receiver Cam Phillips with 15 seconds left in the third quarter, setting up the late-game drama.