Student organizations recognize World AIDS Week

Events include HIV Fair, trivia night, and film screening

This week, students and organizations on Grounds are recognizing World AIDS Week by promoting awareness among the University community. Organizations involved include the Student Global AIDS Campaign, the LGBTQ Center, the International Medical Club, Peer Health Educators and ONE — a group which promotes poverty relief and health in Africa. The groups are coordinating to host events to educate students and promote health and safety surrounding AIDS.

Student Global AIDS Campaign held its first events of the week Monday, including a letter writing event and a film screening. Throughout the week, SGAC will hold an HIV Fair, a trivia night, a fundraiser at Ruby Tuesdays, and various educational events.

“This week is a time to celebrate our triumphs, advocate for future goals/successes, and educate the others about HIV/AIDS,” the group's website reads.

Fourth-year College student Denise Catbay, president of ONE at the University, said her group seeks to find ways to use the political process to ameliorate disease, poverty and hunger, especially in Africa. She said raising AIDS awareness is a big part of that effort.

“AIDS is an integral part of this mission, because it considers [...] a lot of the factors that contribute to poverty and hunger,” Catbay said. “Collaborating with SGAC is a way we’re really trying to reach out to the students to get them more involved in the political process.”

Catbay said there are various events happening on Grounds this week to acknowledge World AIDS Week.

“Yesterday was the kickoff day because it was [Dec. 1], which is officially known as global AIDS Day,” Catbay said. “[Tuesday] there is going to be an AIDS fair. There’s also HIV testing in the Newcomb Gallery. It will help people who don’t know about their status to really get tested.”

Third-year College student Connor Roessler, an intern at the University’s LGBTQ Center, helped organize many of Tuesday afternoon’s events, including an AIDS fair, HIV testing, student performances and keynote talks with professors. Roessler said many students do not realize how many resources there are on Grounds to help with AIDS education, prevention and treatment.

“I’m trying to provide students with access to all the resources on Grounds,” Roessler said. “My specific hope is to bring them all together.”

Roessler said the planning process for this event began at the beginning of the year.

“I’m one of the interns for the LGBTQ Center, so at the beginning of the year we sit down and plan events," he said. "I really wanted the Center to have an event in this week. From then, I was just contacting all of the different networks that I am in.”

Roessler said that though statistics show the prevalence of HIV and AIDS rising nationally among 18-24 year olds, firm statistics can be hard to pinpoint.

“It is really hard to know because a lot of times HIV is invisible,” he said. “A lot of times we are fighting the stigma. I know there are a lot of misconceptions about sexual activities and risks. This [event] is just to let people know what their status is. That is an important tool.”

Catbay said ONE will be sending the art and banners made to raise awareness about AIDS during the week to legislators in an effort to promote change through policy.

“Students have a very unique position in society because they are able to actively advocate for issues that they really feel strongly about,” she said. “These events really show the diversity of ways that students can get involved.”