Hollering for the Hoos

Hoo Crew student cheer section supports U.Va. sports teams

<p>The University's student cheer section, Hoo Crew, aims to create an atmosphere of comradery and positivity in the stands at sports games. </p>

The University's student cheer section, Hoo Crew, aims to create an atmosphere of comradery and positivity in the stands at sports games. 

The University’s student cheer section — Hoo Crew — has supported the men’s basketball team in victory after victory this season as the undefeated squad defends its No. 2 slot in college hoops.

As its orange-clad members help to fill the stands and enliven the crowd at John Paul Jones Arena, Hoo Crew is sticking true to its roots — supporting Virginia’s basketball team was the original task of the student group when it launched in 2005. In the years since its creation, however, Hoo Crew has expanded to fill the student sections for nearly all University teams

“[We wanted to] make it so that every student at the University of Virginia can be a part of Hoo Crew,” said Hoo Crew Vice President Dylan Fogarty, a fourth-year College student.

Hoo Crew members created a system called the Orange Passport program — which incentivizes members to attend a diverse range of games across the University’s athletics program.

“We provide pizza and T-shirts [and] keep track of people’s points by scanning their passports,” said Orange Passport Chair Robert Petri, a fourth-year College student. “This helps students get points and essentially increase the chance of getting tickets come basketball season.”

But even at games not part of the Orange Passport schedule, Hoo Crew members can always be spotted cheering on their fellow Wahoos at University sporting events.

“[The athletes] put so much work and time into practicing, playing the games, and traveling that they should have the support of the student body all the time,” said Director of Internal Operations Logan Dickinson, a third-year Education student. “I definitely think they appreciate us coming out and doing our best to promote people to come out to the games.”

At games, members of Hoo Crew work to create an air of positivity and camaraderie among attendees — rather than slandering opposing teams.

“This is my first year on the committee so I’ve never been a part of the selection process, but everyone that has been selected to be on the committee are respectable enough to not say comments that put other people down,” second-year College student Jake Gore said.

As the 2014 winner of the Naismith Student Section of the Year, the Hoo Crew-led University fans hope to help watch Coach Tony Bennett and his squad through a successful conference schedule this winter, while also coming out in support of a host of other University teams. Next up for the Orange Passport program is a Swim & Dive matchup against North Carolina next Saturday.

Though Hoo Crew committee members go through a selection process before joining, Dickinson said the aim of the group is to be as inclusive as possible.

“We consider every member of U.Va. a member of Hoo Crew regardless of if you are on the committee,” Dickinson said. “We see our purpose as supporting U.Va., and we want to focus on U.Va. players and staying positive.”