The shape of the silver screen in 2015

Arts & Entertainment names their top 10 anticipated films this year

A new year marks a fresh start for moviegoers — audiences wait to see which movies will be smash hits and which will be utter flops. It seems as though 2015 will be another year following the trend of almost all successful movies being adaptations of published works or sequels.There are many reasons to be excited for this year on film, but these 10 simply stand out far beyond the rest.

1. “Furious 7”: The next installment of of the “Fast & Furious” franchise is set to be released in April and is the first of the franchise to be released since the death of Paul Walker in 2013. The movie will most certainly be under scrutiny due to the movie’s continued filming in the wake of the death of the star actor. Will the re-writing and slight recasting that took place affect the film for the worse?

2. “The Fantastic Four”: This franchise is getting a reboot after the heinous films that were released in 2005 and 2007 and is slated to be released August 7. The film stars Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara, Miles Teller and Jamie Bell. With a fresh, young cast, the reboot shows promise. While Chris Evans in flames and Jessica Alba’s pouty-lipped forcefield will both certainly be missed, this new movie will most likely be a box-office star.

3. “The Peanuts Movie”: With the 65th anniversary of the iconic comic stip coming this year, Charlie Brown and his friends will be hitting the big screen for the first time this century. The release promises massive audiences, as people of all age groups will have some connection with the heartwarming stories of the “Peanuts” comics. Set for release in November, this movie will be a holiday treat for families.

4. “The Avengers: Age of Ultron”: What would this list be without at least one Marvel Cinematic Universe film? The highly, hotly and appropriately anticipated next installment of the Marvel franchise is set for release in May. The Avengers have proved to be a lovable group of heroes, and seeing them battle an army of robots will surely be epic.

5. “The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water”: Coming to theaters this February, the sequel to the 2004 “SpongeBob SquarePants Movie” will be a treat for kids and families. The iconic television show (which is creeping closer and closer to 20 years running) is still loved by so many, and there is no doubt the movie will be hilarious. The trailer looks ridiculous in all the best ways, so here’s hoping this translates to a great film.

6. “Fifty Shades of Grey”: The best-selling novel series is getting its theatrical debut, and if the trailer with Beyoncé’s sultry vocals and images of the infamous Red Room were not enough, the movie recently received an R rating. While none of this is surprising, all eyes will be on this film Valentine’s Day weekend.

7. “Cinderella”: Surprise! Disney is making yet another Cinderella movie, set for release  March 13. While there is much anticipation to see how, if at all, Disney will deviate from the original story, the classic Cinderella elements will surely be there to appease diehard fans. As an added bonus, however, we do get to see Cate Blanchett as the Wicked Stepmother.

8. “Jurassic World”: The highly successful Jurassic Park series will find its next installment in theaters in June. Starring Chris Pratt, the movie is truly is a new — though not necessarily improved — successor to the previous movies. “Jurassic World” will surely feature some beautiful dinosaurs, and the animation and special effects will be stellar. Dinosaurs wrecking stuff — that’s all the people really want to see.

9. “Magic Mike XXL”: The sequel to Channing Tatum’s quasi-biopic is hitting theaters in July. If the title has any indication of what is to come, audiences can expect to see a bigger and better show than the first. The exciting sequel will be making the summer just a little bit steamier, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

10. “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”: The next installment of the Star Wars series will be the first release since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012. This means the critics will be out in full force (pun intended) December when it is set to be released. Star Wars fanatics and families alike will be going to theatres in droves to see what is in store for them in a “galaxy far, far away.”