UHS ranked among top 100 women's health program

National publication Becker's Hospital Review recognizes U.Va. for outstanding OB-GYN and other women's programs

The University Medical Center was recently named one of the top 100 hospitals for women’s health programs by Becker’s Hospital Review.

The award is based on the facility’s ability to “offer outstanding health services geared toward women, such as gynecology, obstetrics, women-focused heart care and women-focused cancer care, among other women’s health needs,” according to the magazine.

Becker’s Hospital Review, a nationally recognized health care trade publication, develops its list of top programs based on recognition from organizations in the field.

“This honor from Becker’s Hospital Review highlights the high-quality care provided by our Women’s Services and Children’s Hospital teams across U.Va. Medical Center,” said Dr. Jef Ferguson, chair of the obstetrics and gynecology department.

Becker’s Hospital Review also ranked the University Medical Center in the 95th percentile in a survey of 2,666 hospitals for breastfeeding care by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in December of 2014.

“The hospital facilities are unique and afford patients access to the most sophisticated technology available, which [focuses on] compassionate and individualized care,” Ferguson said.

The University has partnered with neonatologists and other medical professionals from the Children’s Hospital, as well as with many regional physicians, to ensure patients can deliver children comfortably and with immediate access to care, Ferguson said.

“We are fortunate to have an excellent reputation and to have been recognized by many state and national groups,” Ferguson said. “We have marquee programs and services, and a team of physicians, mid-level providers and staff who truly care and are passionate about providing the best care possible to women of all ages.”