ADAMES: Hispanic is not a race

The classification of “Hispanic” as a race incorrectly suggests all Hispanics face the same level of discrimination

After disclosing my ethnic identity, the reaction I typically receive is one of awe and bewilderment. Occasionally, some individuals retort that I cannot be black because I am Hispanic, or vice-versa. They argue Hispanics should be considered a separate group and our own race, but this is a misconception — “Hispanic” is not and should never be considered a race.

The term “Hispanic” simply refers to someone whose ancestry is rooted in Spain. This is due to the fact that “Hispanic” nations were once colonized by Spain. Some Spaniards returned to their motherland, but a lot of them found a new home in Latin America. As a result, most Hispanics (not every “Latino,” which is someone who has roots in Latin America, including the non-Spanish-speaking countries) in Latin America are descendants of these Spanish settlers.

As time progressed, white Spanish settlers began to intermarry (to put it politely) with the Native Americans of Latin America and the black slaves they abducted from Africa. Subsequently, generations of multiracial children were born, and Latin America was on its way to becoming the melting pot it is today. Because of this, Hispanics have a diverse set of physical characteristics. For example, there are white Hispanics (e.g. William Levy), black Hispanics (e.g. Junot Diaz), and mestizo Hispanics (e.g. Sandra Cisneros). This is proof Hispanics are not only white, but also black and Amerindian. Accordingly, it is illogical to claim Hispanics are simply “Hispanic;” most of us are white or multiracial.

In "Mapping the Terrain," sociologists Stephen Cornell and Douglas Hartmann conduct a study to examine society’s understanding of race and ethnicity. Both sociologists come to the conclusion that ethnic identity is typically based on “putative common descent, claims of shared history, and symbols of peoplehood,” whereas, racial identity is most commonly defined through “perceived physical differences.” Now, if one were to search the names of the three Hispanics provided above, most would notice these “perceived physical differences” we use to categorize people on the basis of race. This observation demonstrates that a person can be ethnically Hispanic but of different races.

When an individual suggests that “Hispanic” should be considered a race, the person also implies Hispanics are a monolithic group, which is far from true. Hispanics are a modern day culmination of racial diversity. The cultures and races present in contemporary Latin America are a product of the amalgamation of Spanish, African and Amerindian (and, in some parts, Asian) cultures and people.

Hispanics should repudiate being construed as a racial identity because this identification privileges the white identity and ignores other identities. For example, although they may share similar struggles on account of being Hispanic, many white (or white-passing) Hispanics will be immune to certain forms of discrimination based on race and complexion. Some may object to this by claiming white Hispanics are not any more privileged than black or mestizo Hispanics. However, though they may deny it, white Hispanics do exhibit a definite measure of privilege in a society that prefers whiteness. White Hispanics are able to elude some of the same obstacles faced by non-white-passing Hispanics, which is why they are unaware of their own advantages and may dismiss notions of privilege as purely sophism.

Whether it be implicit or explicit, racism and colorism are certainly alive and well. White Hispanics will be able to pass as white and, therefore, possess many of the privileges other whites also hold. The most notable example is that of the actors selected for novelas, which are Spanish-language soap operas. There is a clear and obvious preference for white and white-passing Hispanic actors. The fact that many of us are not white-passing, yet the representation we see within our own novelas reinforces notions of white supremacy, is deeply problematic.

Thus, when filling out forms that ask for racial and ethnic identities, “Hispanic” should be filed under the category of “ethnicity” and not “race.” Hispanic, white, black and Amerindian are not mutually exclusive identities. While we may share similar experiences, some of us may carry more privilege than others, and to suggest all Hispanics face that exact same form of discrimination ignores the experiences of darker-skinned, black and mestizo Hispanics.

Alexander Adames is a Viewpoint writer.