City Council discusses ending Lee-Jackson Day observance

Holiday opponents say celebration is inappropriate

Charlottesville City Council met Monday night to discuss whether the city should continue to recognize a state holiday honoring Confederate State Army Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. Observed the Friday before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Lee-Jackson Day commemorates Lee’s and Jackson’s birthdays.

Speakers at the meeting included residents from Richmond and Petersburg, many of whom opposed the holiday. Letters of support and opposition sent from states across the country were also read during the Council meeting.

John McAlister, a resident of Columbus, Ohio, sent a letter expressing his support for the holiday. McAlister said ceasing to celebrate the holiday would be disrespectful to Lee and Jackson.

“The Lee-Jackson Holiday honors two American Veterans,” his letter read. “To deny them the honor and remembrance they deserve is to insult and dishonor all veterans. As a person now living in Ohio, whose ancestors come from Virginia, I consider these two men great American veterans who deserve the credit and honor they have received for all these years and into the future.”

Others expressed opposition to the holiday, stating that the holiday is shameful and offensive.

Charlottesville resident Diana Filipi said the holiday only served to exacerbate racial divides.

“I do not think it is appropriate to celebrate Lee-Jackson day as a holiday,” Filipi said. “We want racial tensions to subside and this holiday does nothing to further that goal.”

Charlottesville City Hall closes in observance of Lee-Jackson Day, and classes are cancelled for Virginia Tech students on the holiday. Other Virginia cities, including Waynesboro, Staunton and Richmond, however, no longer observe the holiday in an official capacity.

Council member Kristin Szakos said celebrating Lee-Jackson Day is not appropriate due to the racial issues inherent to any discussion of the Civil War.

“Some people talk about how especially General Lee was an honorable man and a good guy,” Szakos said. “But from my perspective … , to be celebrating a holiday that honors people who fought for the right of white Virginians to enslave their black neighbors is not appropriate.”

History Prof. Gary Gallagher, who specializes in the Civil War, opted to remain neutral on the debate.

“My opinion is that localities should be able to decide on such questions,” Gallagher said in an email. “Whatever the official decision of a locality, those who wish to observe such holidays have the option to do so.”

The City Council will reconvene Feb. 17 to decide whether Charlottesville will continue to recognize Lee-Jackson Day as a local government holiday.