History comes alive in “Sons of Liberty”

New miniseries from History Channel thrills

The year is 1765 and American colonists are growing weary of British oppression — no one more so than the charismatic Samuel Adams (Ben Barnes). Adams incurs the wrath of the British for failing to pay his taxes and unwittingly encouraging the townspeople to destroy the governor’s house. Forming an unlikely partnership with the British-sympathizer John Hancock (Rafe Spall), as well as with other familiar faces like Paul Revere (Michael Raymond-James) and John Adams (Henry Thomas), Adams runs a black market in protest of heavy British duties. Tensions mount as the fight for American independence begins to form.

The History Channel has spared no expense in bringing 18th century Boston to life in “Sons of Liberty,” with detailed and impressive sets and costumes. At the very least, the show is visually stunning, transporting the viewer back in time. Backed by an impeccably patriotic score by Hans Zimmer, and with non-stop action, “Sons of Liberty” makes for a compelling and entertaining historical drama.

The show’s greatest asset is its sprawling ensemble cast. Barnes makes for an excellent lead, portraying Adams as impassioned yet sympathetic. He plays Adams as the average man, but also someone who could believably lead a revolution. The true scene-stealer, however, is Spall, in his almost over-the-top portrayal of Hancock. He provides the majority of the comic relief in the otherwise serious show. Marton Csokas is also noteworthy as the primary villain, Thomas Gage.

“Sons of Liberty” is billed as a “dramatic reinterpretation” of historical events — so naturally many of the facts are glossed over, and the show focuses more on the action rather than the planning and bureaucracy behind the Revolution. Though the dialogue is less nuanced than similar historical dramas like “John Adams,” “Sons of Liberty” is still a thrilling ride.

History buffs looking for an in-depth analysis of the events leading up to the American Revolution will likely be disappointed, but for those seeking an energetic, action-filled retelling of America’s fight for independence, look no further than “Sons of Liberty”.