No. 2 Virginia destroys Wake Forest, 70-34

<p>Junior forward Anthony Gill made five of seven shots against the Demon Deacons. The Cavaliers won at Wake Forest for the first time since 1999-2000 and ensured a top-two finish in the ACC. </p>

Junior forward Anthony Gill made five of seven shots against the Demon Deacons. The Cavaliers won at Wake Forest for the first time since 1999-2000 and ensured a top-two finish in the ACC.

The No. 2 Virginia men’s basketball dominated Wake Forest 70-34 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina Wednesday night. Junior forward Anthony Gill led the way for the Cavaliers with 11 points, seven rebounds and two blocks.

Virginia (26-1, 14-1 ACC) jumped out to an early lead, despite missing sophomore point guard London Perrantes due to a concussion suffered Sunday against Florida State. Freshman Marial Shayok started in the Los Angeles native’s place, and junior forward Evan Nolte started once again in place of injured junior guard Justin Anderson.

The Demon Deacons (12-16, 4-11 ACC) were unable to take advantage of the short-handed Cavaliers, and could not buy a bucket in the first half. Virginia held Wake Forest to just 15 points on 24 percent shooting in the opening 20 minutes. The Cavaliers went on a 23-6 run in the half take a 36-15 lead into the break.

The second half was much of the same as Virginia continued to build on its lead, with the Demon Deacons unable to find any traction offensively. While much of their season-low shooting percentage was undoubtedly due to having an off night, the pack-line defense operated beautifully Wednesday evening. Crisp rotations and strong play under the basket led to eight blocks for the Cavaliers and deterred Wake Forest from entering the paint. Freshman forward Isaiah Wilkins led Virginia with three blocks.

The Cavaliers have two days off to try to get healthy before in-state rival Virginia Tech comes to Charlottesville. The Hokies gave Virginia a scare Jan. 25, when Virginia escaped from Blacksburg with a 50-47 win. Tip-off is scheduled for 4p.m Saturday afternoon.

—compiled by Ryan Taylor