No. 7 Virginia dominates Syracuse in ACC opener

The No. 7 Virginia women’s tennis team beat No. 59 Syracuse 6-1 Saturday in the Cavaliers’ first ACC match of the season.

Virginia (7-2, 1-0 ACC) jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead to start the day by winning the doubles point. Juniors Danielle Collins and Stephanie Nauta won 8-2 on court one. The point was clinched on court three where junior Maci Epstein and sophomore Marie Faure tallied an 8-3 win. At the time the point was clinched, No. 22 freshman Cassie Mercer and junior Skylar Morton were leading 7-5 on court two.

In singles, the Cavaliers only dropped one match, which came in a thrilling three-set match on court five in which Mercer lost 3-6, 7-5, 15-13. On courts one and two, No. 30 Collins won 7-5, 6-3 and Nauta won 6-3, 6-3, respectively. On court three, Morton clinched a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 victory, while No. 102 Epstein won 6-2, 7-6 on court four. On court six, Faure dominated in a 6-1, 6-1 win.

Virginia was scheduled to play Sunday at 11 a.m. against Boston College, but the match was postponed due to inclement weather which left Boston College unable to get to Charlottesville. The new date of the match has not yet been determined.

The Cavaliers will resume ACC play Friday, Feb. 27 at Pittsburgh. The first serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.