No. 9 Virginia Tech hands Cavaliers first ACC loss

Twelfth-ranked wrestling falls 18-16 in Blacksburg

Twelfth-ranked Virginia wrestling fell to No. 9 Virginia Tech, 18-16, at the Moss Arts Center in Blacksburg, Virginia. The match was tight throughout the afternoon and was undecided until the final bout.

The two teams split the 10 contests, but three major decision victories pushed the Hokies (10-2, 1-0 ACC) past the Cavaliers (10-4, 2-1 ACC), who could muster only one bonus-point victory.

Virginia and Virginia Tech alternated wins in the first four matches. Seventh-ranked junior Blaise Butler took the first match, 3-2, over redshirt freshman Zach Epperly. No. 18 junior Zach Nye then won 3-2, following a major decision victory by junior Austin Gabel.

The Hokies won the next two matches including a major decision victory by fourth-ranked sophomore Joey Dance to give Virginia Tech an 11-6 edge.

No. 13 sophomore George DiCamillo and junior Justin Van Hoose won consecutive matches at 133 and 141 pounds, respectively, to pull the Cavaliers ahead, 12-11.

However, the Hokies responded with two victories to grab the lead for good. No. 12 sophomore Sal Mastriani recorded a major decision victory over junior Chris Yankowich and then fifth-ranked junior Nick Brascetta downed redshirt freshman Andrew Atkinson.

Second-ranked senior Nick Sulzer needed to pin junior Chad Strube to tie the match and send it to criteria. Sulzer could not turn Strube, and instead defeated him 12-3. The pinfall would have given the Cavaliers the victory via the tie-breaking criteria.

Virginia will now turns its attention to North Carolina. The teams wrestle next Saturday in Chapel Hill at 7 p.m.