“Sponge Out of Water” stuns fans

New SpongeBob movie presents fun twist on familiar style

Everyone’s favorite yellow sponge from Bikini Bottom is back in “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.”

This film, directed by Paul Tibbitt, is essentially an extended “SpongeBob” episode that transports the audience to an altered state of consciousness. Add in a pair of 3D glasses and the thoroughly psychedelic experience is complete.

“Sponge Out of Water” never drags — the audience is fully captivated and occasionally confused throughout the film. The movie dives right into the action, after providing a short recap for any poor souls who have never seen “SpongeBob” previously.

Though it follows the classic “SpongeBob” storyline in which Plankton attempts to steal the secret Krabby Patty formula, this movie is overflowing with unexpected quirks that keep it fresh and trippy.

From Mr. Krabs dressed in a dominatrix-style outfit to Squidward in tyrannosaurus-rex form, this movie keeps the audience constantly entertained and in fits of confused laughter. The most memorable and kaleidoscopic scenes involve time travel and an appropriately funky soundtrack performed by musical trio N.E.R.D.

However, the plot is occasionally muddled by such eccentricities. The degree of weirdness is large, and this detracts from the narration at times.

Despite this, the movie captures the essence of the television show’s unsophisticated humor. In order to fully enjoy this movie, one must embrace the “nautical nonsense” that gives “SpongeBob” its mass appeal.

Woven into a plot saturated with the oddball hijinks of SpongeBob and friends, the movie’s main messages of teamwork and friendship are still clearly exhibited. For instance, the culminating scenes of “Sponge Out of Water” are led by the main characters in superhero form. These better-looking, more-athletic versions of SpongeBob and company work together to restore order in Bikini Bottom.

Rife with eccentricities, “The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: Sponge Out of Water” maintains the humor characteristic of the classic “SpongeBob” TV series, taking the audience on a trip they will not soon forget.