University hosts criminal justice advocacy group

Students hear presentations on mandatory minimum sentencing

<p>Partrice Lee, a member of Generation Opportunity team. </p>

Partrice Lee, a member of Generation Opportunity team. 

Generation Opportunity hosted an event called Criminal Justice in the Commonwealth Tuesday featuring the story of Weldon Angelos, a man serving a federally mandated 55-year sentence for a nonviolent crime.

Generation Opportunity — a youth issue advocacy organization based in Arlington, Virginia — raises awareness about issues including the criminal justice issue of federal mandatory sentencing.

The event highlighted that Angelos, a father of two, currently serves a sentence for crime he committed at a young age — possessing a firearm while selling marijuana in 2004 — and will remain incarcerated until he is 80.

Generation Opportunity Press Secretary Rebecca Coffman explained that the group hoped hearing Angelos speak — he is one of thousands of non-violent offenders incarcerated every year under mandatory minimum sentencing — would raise awareness about the initiative.

“[We are] using Weldon’s story as a kick off to our campaign,” Coffman said.

The event featured a screening of “The Story of Weldon Angelos” — a short documentary created by Generation Opportunity. Additionally, event-goers were engaged in discussions about sentencing laws and learned about federally mandated minimum sentences.

Angelos pleaded not guilty instead of admitting to a less serious offense and as a result, the case went through trial. Upon conviction, the judge had no choice but to deliver such a sentence, said Patrice Lee, Generation Opportunity director of outreach.

“The judge had to sentence him to 55 years in prison — his hands were tied because of federal mandatory sentencing,” Lee said.

Lee emphasized the emotional turmoil the Angelo family has experienced over the years.

“In meeting them, they’ve been disheartened,” Lee said. “They recognize that he did commit a crime and needed to be punished.”

But, she said, the punishment did not fit the crime.

Members of Generation Opportunity believe that Angelos’ case is a good example of federal laws affecting many people in the United States.

“There are so many Weldons,” Lee said.

Generation Opportunity seeks to expand awareness of this issue because of its universal importance, said Jeff Scully, Generation Opportunity’s Virginia state director. The organization plans to educate and mobilize people regarding this controversial issue.

“It’s an upcoming issue,” Scully said. “It’s non-partisan. It’s all about second chances.”

Many students came to the event interested in learning more about the issue. First-year College student Jeff DelSordo said that he attended the event unsure of the realities of Weldon Angelos’ situation.

“I almost said to myself that can’t be true,” DelSordo said. “[I] came tonight and found the truth — and the truth sucks.”

Coffman echoed this disappointment, but explained the state and the country as a whole must confront this unsettling reality.

“Our democratic nation should be a shining example of what real justice looks like, but it hasn’t lived up to its potential,” Coffman said in an email. “We have five percent of the world’s population but 25 percent of the total incarcerated population. Because of mandatory sentencing laws, thousands of non-violent offenders are serving out unfair sentences — often without the chance for parole.”