Young, Fabrizio highlight Ames, Albuquerque

Cavalier track and field athletes competed at a pair of meets this weekend. The Don Kirby Elite Meet in Albuquerque, New Mexico and the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa.

In Ames, graduate student Vanessa Fabrizio bested her own program record in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:07.24. It was the seventh school record broken by Virginia this year.

Sophomore Christine Bohan nearly added to the total with her performance in the women’s shot put. Bohan’s throw of 52 feet and 10.75 inches was 1.25 inches from surpassing Billie-Jo Grant’s 2008 mark.

Senior Jordan Lavender, program record holder in the women’s 200 meter and 400 meter, finished second in the 60-meter-dash with a time of 7.52 seconds. Lavender’s teammates — junior Peyton Chaney and sophomore Tori McKenzie — finished third and fifth respectively.

Cavalier pole vaulters continued their success in New Mexico. Senior Sarah DeVita took 12th place with a clearance of 12 feet 8.25 inches, half an inch off of freshman Bridget Guy’s program record from Blacksburg.

Back in Ames, sophomore Jordan Young outdid his own school record in the weight throw with a distance of 22.61 meters. On Saturday, Young won the shot put with a throw of 19.15 meters — the second best mark in school history.

Senior Payton Hazzard finished second in the men’s 400-meter dash with a time of 46.68 seconds. His program record from earlier this year still stands at 46.60 seconds.

The Virginia track and field’s distance medley runners prepare for this weekend’s Alex Wilson Invitational in Notre Dame, Indiana.