Guest professor lectures on Armenian genocide

Attendees note general lack of awareness on subject

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Asst. History Prof. Lerna Ekmekcioglu spoke to students and members of the University community Tuesday about the 1915 Armenian Genocide, commemorating the centennial of the event.

The lecture, held a month before the day to mark the event, was hosted by the Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies, the Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences and the History Department. It was followed by a panel discussion between various University professors on the topic.

Ekmekcioglu said the event had the potential to bring greater attention to the tragedy.

“I hope that it’s going to initiate a conversation about the centennial of the Armenian genocide,” Ekmekcioglu said.

Ekmekcioglu said the violence of various groups worldwide, such as ISIS and the recent bombing of the Deir Al-Zor Church, a monument to Armenians massacred, demonstrate the importance of being aware when trying to prevent further tragedy.

“It’s the time to think about these things — not just about the Armenians,” Ekmekcioglu said. “Hopefully it’s going to bring more awareness to what’s going on in other parts of the world.”

Many attendees, University students and professors alike, said there is a lack of awareness on the topic of genocide and in particular the Armenian Genocide. The U.S. government does not recognize the Armenian Genocide, a point noted by a student attendee.

Ekmekcioglu said it was related to self-interest and maintaining good relations with Turkey.

“It’s very basic — in one sentence, it is their political interests,” Ekmekcioglu said. “Turkey is an important ally. It comes down to sheer politics.”

Along with speaking on the genocide, she gave a summary of her research on the history of the Ottoman Empire and its relationships with non-Muslim minorities. The panel of professors, mostly from the religious studies and history departments, commented on the dynamic.

Religious Studies Prof. Vigen Guroian, a descendant of Armenian genocide survivors, told stories of Armenians’ experiences in his homeland of Turkey. He recounted the tension he felt as an Armenian in his own country.

“Once I got off that plane, I felt very uncomfortable,” Guroian said.