Baseball hosts Towson for midweek contest

Struggling Cavaliers look to find offensive consistency and return to winning ways

No. 9 Virginia baseball returns home for a midweek matchup against Towson. The Cavaliers (12-5, 2-4 ACC) are looking to return to their winning ways following a recent four-game losing streak.

Virginia is coming off a three-game sweep at the hands of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. The Hokies (10-9, 4-2 ACC) combined solid pitching with clutch hitting to sweep the Cavaliers.

Sophomore Alec Bettinger (1-0, 1.69 ERA) will make his second start of the season on Tuesday. In his first start against Marist Feb. 21 the righty pitched five innings of shutout ball and struck out six.

Bettinger will rely on an offense that is wavering for run support. Virginia scored once in each of the first two games against Virginia Tech before grinding out five runs on 12 hits in the finale.

But Davenport Field is the place for a struggling team, and a hapless Tigers (2-13, 0-0 CAA) team might be just what the doctor ordered.

The Cavaliers are 340-74 at home since 2004, and Towson enters Tuesday with an astronomically-high 6.50 earned run average.

Regardless of how they do it, Virginia needs to snap out of their funk with a tough, three-game weekend series against No. 12 Florida State lurking.