​Baseball outmuscles Liberty in 10-7 win

<p>Senior third baseman Kenny Towns racked up four RBI against the Flames. He also smacked his team-leading 10th double of the season. </p>

Senior third baseman Kenny Towns racked up four RBI against the Flames. He also smacked his team-leading 10th double of the season. 

Fresh off a shutout loss to Georgetown, No. 14 Virginia baseball defeated Liberty, 10-7, in what can only be characterized as a bat-swinging contest.

The Cavaliers (15-8, 3-6 ACC) set a season high in hits with 15 — five Virginia batters collected multiple hits.

Spots one through four in the order went a combined 10-17 and knocked in seven runs. Freshman Adam Haseley and sophomore Daniel Pinero each had three hits. Senior Kenny Towns collected four RBI.

Virginia scored once in the first and twice in the third, but the bats came alive in the top of the fourth. The team sent 10 men to the plate and scored six times — utilizing station-to-station baseball to do so.

The Flames (14-10, 1-2 Big South) scored twice in innings four and five to keep themselves in the game. Two more runs in the bottom of the seventh put Liberty within four. Senior Ashton Perritt took junior closer Josh Sborz deep in the final inning to pull within three, but the blast was Liberty’s last run of the game.

Freshman Derek Casey earned his first career win. The righty allowed four earned runs, four hits and two walks in 4.2 innings pitched.

The Cavaliers now turn their attention to Notre Dame. The two teams will contest their first weekend series as ACC foes in South Bend, Indiana 6:05 p.m. Friday.