College Council names Vj Jenkins as Honor Committee College representative, filling vacated spot

Caroline Herre to serve as Architecture representative in coming year

The College Council announced the appointment of second-year student Vj Jenkins as the new College representative to the Honor Committee Friday. The position was vacated by Caroline Herre, who decided to pursue a master’s degree in the University’s School of Architecture. Herre will now serve as the School of Architecture’s representative to the Honor Committee.

Jenkins was the first runner-up for the position in the recent University-wide election — one of the reasons College Council provided for Jenkins' appointment.

"Based on the results of the recent University-wide election, the members of College Council decided to appoint Vendarryl Jenkins (Vj), the first runner-up in the election," College Council President Henry Reynolds said in an email distributed to the student body.

Similar situations have occurred in the past, such as the appointment of Ann Marie McKenzie in 2011 and Josh Myers in 2013. The 2011 decision stirred up concerns about the transparency of the process and constitutional confusion.

The Committee constitution states, "unless otherwise provided in a school's constitution, a vacancy [on the Committee] shall be filled by another election within a reasonable time." However, the Council constitution partially overrides the mandate by stating, "the Council shall appoint a member of the CLAS Student Body to fill the vacancy on an interim basis until either a special election/selection is held or the term expires."

Reynolds said in an email to the University student body that he was hopeful the process was more transparent to the student body, and explained some of the factors behind the appointment in his email.