Divers Kolod, Corbett qualify for NCAA Championships

<p>Junior Becca Corbett became the first female diver in program history to qualify for the NCAA Championships after placing fifth in the 3-meter event. </p>

Junior Becca Corbett became the first female diver in program history to qualify for the NCAA Championships after placing fifth in the 3-meter event. 

Senior JB Kolod and junior Becca Corbett stole the spotlight for the Virginia diving teams last week at the NCAA Zone A Diving Championships in Buffalo, New York, punching tickets to their respective NCAA Championship meets in all three diving events. No other Cavalier diver qualified of the five men and four women competing.

All female divers who place in the top seven in an event are eligible to compete in the NCAA meet, while the men must place in the top seven in the 3-meter and platform events and the top five in the 1-meter springboards.

Monday, Corbett became the first female diver in program history to qualify for the NCAA Championships when her score of 613.25 earned her a fifth-place finish in the 3-meter event. Corbett provided two more inspiring performances after, again taking home fifth in the 1-meter springboards with a score of 546.15 Tuesday. Wednesday her score of 515.55 put her in fourth place in the platform event.

Kolod earned his third consecutive NCAA appearance Monday with a score of 662.9 in the 1-meter event —good for second place. Kolod again corralled second Tuesday with his score of 794.3 in the 3-meter springboards. Last year, as a junior, Kolod earned the program’s highest finish in the 3-meter event at the NCAA Championships after placing seventh.

Although Kolod finished ninth on the platform dive, he is still eligible to compete in the event at the NCAA meet by virtue of his two second-place finishes and his top-12 finish Wednesday.

—compiled by Robert Elder