Fashion Fridays: The denim deluge

If you thought denim was done, you thought wrong. The famed material certainly peaked during the mid-90s and early 2000s, but it only left us for a short time before returning with a vengeance. Denim, the heralded textile of jeans and overalls, jackets and shirts, is a staple in our society. While wearing denim on top of denim was, until recently, taboo, it seems that the tides are changing.

Leave it to stars such as Rihanna and Katy Perry to help bring back one of the most risky wardrobe decisions in recent memory. In early 2014, we made fun of the denim dress worn by Britney Spears and accompanied by Justin Timberlake’s denim suit and cowboy hat, as well as other strange denim decisions celebrities made over a decade ago. Soon thereafter, Katy Perry and RiFF RAFF were featured at the MTV VMAs this past fall. While this may not have made anyone want to go out and buy a bunch of denim garments, it certainly did start the conversation.

Last month, Rihanna surprise released her latest single “FourFiveSeconds,” and much to everyone’s surprise, the accompanying single artwork featured her, Kanye West and Paul McCartney clad completely in denim. The crazy thing is, it didn’t look terrible. Rihanna made denim grungy — edgy even. With Kanye West working on his new fashion line and Rihanna assuming her new position as the Creative Director of Puma, we may be seeing denim garments in our department stores sooner rather than later.

With the spring upon us, it will be interesting to see if denim shorts, or even tanks make it into the market. What other kinds of denim garments will become popular? Will we all be sporting overalls and denim caps next fall? That could be fun. Who knows — we may even see denim prom dresses as early as next year. Denim could be here to stay. Denim scarves in the winter? Goodbye, cashmere.

I plan on embracing it wholeheartedly. You might even catch me with some new denim shirts. Do yourself a favor and try out the new fad. Go for the grungy and let’s see if we can’t make overalls sexy again. Find ways to take this ubiquitous textile and make it your own.